General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

The British Newspaper Archive

British Newspaper Archive

Read about historical events at the time they were happening. Perhaps you'll discover your ancestor in their local newspaper?

Start searching

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Good manners.

Page 1 + 1 of 2

1. «
  2. 1
  3. 2
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Brenda from Wales

Brenda from Wales Report 18 Feb 2013 13:47

I am of the same opinion as most on here.
Everything is so casual ,untidy,...respect seems to have gone out of the window.
Nothing to do with working class or poorer people.Pride in appearance and please and thankyou were all part of our upbringing...please may I leave the table...etc etc.standing up on a bus to let someone older sit down...inbuilt into us.a man would raise his hat to you in the street and no way wear a hat in the house.

Maybe Im old fashioned,but do find it has gone too far!

Mayfield

Mayfield Report 18 Feb 2013 13:43

My School motto was,

Moribus facit homo, Manners maketh the man.

Just about the only thing the place ever taught me! ;-)

Mayfield

Budgie Rustler

Budgie Rustler Report 18 Feb 2013 13:40

“I'm making a list

I'm making a list of things I must say
For politeness,
And goodness and kindness and gentleness
Sweetness and rightness:
Hello
Pardon me
How are you?
Excuse me
Bless you
May I?
Thank you
Goodbye
If you know some that I've forgot,
Please stick them in your eye!”

Vintagefinemaid

Vintagefinemaid Report 18 Feb 2013 13:34

Mobile phone users are amongst the most ill mannered people I have come across recently
They stand in the queue at the supermarket finishing a conversation while the shop assistant is 'shushed' when she asks for the money and told she is rude because she must have seen they were on the phone telling their friend what they have just bought!!!!!
They go in the baker's shop where a friend works, talking on their phones and pointing at the items they want and glaring at her when she picks up the wrong thing
We have managed to ban people smoking most places, maybe we should ban mobile phones

Paula+

Paula+ Report 18 Feb 2013 13:15

Dermot, It is one of my saddest observations. I can still hear my Mother saying good manners cost nothing. Whilst I still think they are most important I don’t just mean please and thank you.

Good manners begin with parents by starting to show good manners to their children and other people. Teaching them respect, for respect shows that you have good manners.

I dislike it when people interrupt or override another person when he or she is speaking.
When eating out some people do not to seem to have basic table manners. They allow their children to run amok and simply ignore their parental responsibility, regarding the supervision of their children.
When talking on mobile phones in a public space, they seem to be unaware that everything they say can be heard by anyone sitting within earshot. Some people are incapable of keeping their voice at "indoor voice" level, or lower. Generally, people with good manners don't talk about potentially embarrassing private issues in public. I have heard some very “enlightening” conversations sitting on the train.

Driving with good manners might seem outdated, actually a matter of safety but simply ignored by many people, of all ages.
Some people feel that being " well mannered" is "fake" or unauthentic. Instead, I believe that good manners are normal and healthy social conventions, that make interactions easier and more pleasant. Good manners doesn't mean that you can't joke , or have a sense of humour, don't confuse good manners with being a stuffed shirt and overly reserved, so to speak. That's just boring.

Oh dear you have got me started. I think I will go and make my lunch
:-D :-D

GeordiePride

GeordiePride Report 18 Feb 2013 13:00

I was always brought up to respect your elders and I would get a clip around the ears if I misbehaved. I am shocked at the manners and swearing of young people. God knows what my parents would make of it today if they were still alive.

GP

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 18 Feb 2013 12:55

I find most people are really polite most of the time. There are a few exceptions but mostly people are polite, I think.

Most kids are polite but you notice the few who aren't because they are louder than the others.

Most old people are polite but there are some who think being old gives them the right to go to the front of any queue or pass personal remarks at passers by.

Age is no guarantee of good manners.

Gwynne

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 18 Feb 2013 12:43

one reason is when schools were told they couldn't discipline children as in the past - I was disciplined in school, even had the cane - never did me any harm - and we did what we were told in school and didn't answer back

Sharron

Sharron Report 18 Feb 2013 12:36

You don't have to bother with please any more and thank you has been superceded by "There you go.", even in shops.

In the sam shops it is not obligatory to interrupt conversation whilst serving customers either.

terryj

terryj Report 18 Feb 2013 12:14

when kids started having kids

i shudder when i hear the way some young mothers talk to their kids
i can swear with the best of them but wouldn't dream of using that language in front of kids.
mine were always taught to say please and thank you and put rubbish in their pocket till they got home or to a bin

TheBlackKnight

TheBlackKnight Report 18 Feb 2013 12:08

The Internet
enough said :-D

Sharron

Sharron Report 18 Feb 2013 12:06

Thank you. Now there'sone you don't hear very often.

~~ Jules in Wiltshire~~

~~ Jules in Wiltshire~~ Report 18 Feb 2013 11:57

Along time ago!! I find it's the older generation that have less manners these days :-S

Jules x

Dermot

Dermot Report 18 Feb 2013 11:54

‘Good manners’ in the UK - when were they abolished? Thank you.