General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

A Celebration

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Mauatthecoast

Mauatthecoast Report 19 Feb 2013 10:39

of a Life...........

Mauatthecoast

Mauatthecoast Report 19 Feb 2013 10:50

Was at the Sage Gateshead last night to join in the celebration for Bobby Robson who would have been 80 yrs. yesterday.
A concert in aid of his foundation for Cancer fund.

It was a smashing event with many footballers/managers from past & present.Plus music from lots of guests who'd come along to share the evening inc... Russell Watson,Ruby Turner,Alistair McGowan. Joe McElderry gave a great performance singing Nessum Dorma.Mark Knopfler made the hairs stand up on back of me neck lol playing Local Hero.

Mau xx

Mauatthecoast

Mauatthecoast Report 19 Feb 2013 17:14

25 lookies :-0 :-(....nobody like Wor Bobby Robson or interested in Cancer research then? :-| :-(

Silly Sausage

Silly Sausage Report 19 Feb 2013 17:33

Evening Wor Mau pet, perhaps like me they are gutted they couldnt attend :-(

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 19 Feb 2013 17:51

Sounds like agood evening Mau and a fitting memorial to a great man.

Stephen2009

Stephen2009 Report 19 Feb 2013 19:06

Mau,

It's great when folk come together on an evening such as that and having a combined aim to raise funds just adds to make it all worth the effort.

There are loads of unsung heroes out in the Communirty doing various Fund Raising events for Cancer Research.

I suppose there is hardly a family in the Country that this dreaded disease has not affected in one way or another.

My own family have been hit a few times and given the chance I attend as many events as I can.

My daughter and a few friends have raised around £7,000 for Brain Cancer . They lost a very dear friend earlier last year and this is their way of making sure she will be remembered..

I'm glad you enjoyed the evening and I hope you have many more.

Best wishes,

Stephen

ButtercupFields

ButtercupFields Report 19 Feb 2013 19:14

Lucky you Mau! He was a great man and is sadly missed but what a way to celebrate a life, as you say. *frets...hope you weren't bopping in the aisles! :-D <3

Susan10146857

Susan10146857 Report 19 Feb 2013 19:27

Lucky you from me too Mau. I would love to have been there.

Mauatthecoast

Mauatthecoast Report 19 Feb 2013 21:42

Sorry I'm late back to the thread.

I sincerely hope no-one thinks I'm being callous,or saying folk are not interested in cancer charities,as I have had family and friends who've died from this hideous disease.I sympathise with everyone who have had loved ones affected, and honestly I'd hate to think I've upset anyone.

It was just that this morning thinking of the evening's events I thought I'd share with you all.

Mau XX

Elizabethofseasons

Elizabethofseasons Report 19 Feb 2013 22:37

Dear Mau

Hello

Very pleased you went to the event and how well it went.

SIr Bobby Robson always had time for everyone.

I loved his enthusiasm and passion for football when he was a TV commentator;
he was always so animated.

Lady Robson has carried on his work with the lung diseases centre
and I think Alan Shearer is a patron.

My favourite memory of Sir Bobby is when he managed the England tream
during the Italia 90 World Cup.

I think the whole country fell in love with football again.

Take care mau
Best wishes
Elizabeth, EOS
xx

Mauatthecoast

Mauatthecoast Report 19 Feb 2013 23:35

Thank you so much Elizabeth
Mau XX

Edit: "Sorry where's me manners".....I should also have said thank you to all who replied <3