General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

New Scottish Census

New Scottish census records

Do you have Scottish ancestors?

Perhaps you do and you just didn't know! Search our brand new Scottish census records today and discover if you have Scottish roots.

Search Scottish Census

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trust the Jury.

Page 1 + 1 of 2

1. «
  2. 1
  3. 2
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Muffyxx

Muffyxx Report 22 Feb 2013 11:30

I agree with Ann...maybe a test to ensure they are fit for purpose..I mean I did laugh at some of the questions...but it was bl**dy worrying really...no one should have to face a jury that can't grasp the concept of really basic instructions.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 22 Feb 2013 11:28

we have to have juries - those on trial must be judged by their peers - the jury referred to seem to have been particularly dim in the extreme

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 22 Feb 2013 11:28

I did think the list of questions asked by that jury were a bit worrying. Things that should have been obvious to them. And, no we should not do away with juries but maybe in our multicultural society we should be looking at a basic 'test' for jurors to ascertain if they understand the proceedings and what they are responsible for. To dismiss and retry costs an awful lot of time and money.

Dermot

Dermot Report 22 Feb 2013 11:24

I’m amazed at my own 'fundamental deficit of understanding' in relation to the jury process. Apparently, jury members cannot be questioned as to how they come to a decision & their deliberations in the jury room remain secret.

Is the UK jury system being undermined by the recent case of so-called incompetent jury members? Should we adopt, for example, the South African court protocol where juries do not exist?