General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Laser Eye Surgery

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

♥†۩ Carol   Paine ۩†♥

♥†۩ Carol Paine ۩†♥ Report 26 Feb 2013 14:37

One of our daughters had this yesterday, I took her back to get 24hr check up this morning.

The sight of her broad smile as she walked out of there was lovely to see. She has worn glasses or contacts since she was 8.

Wend

Wend Report 26 Feb 2013 14:40

That's great news Carol - glad the surgery was a success :-)

*$parkling $andie*

*$parkling $andie* Report 26 Feb 2013 16:33

Pleased for your dau Carol.:)

Son wants to have the surgery..I did too , but I am very sceptical about it.

Son only wore contact lenses from age 22 , I guess.. too fashion concious to wear glasses, tho they are in style now ..again .

His last check up showed his vision has improved !

My close vision has defffo gone down the drain,whilst I can now manage distant much easier ...weird isn't it , I take specs ( varifocals) off for the computer and eating and reading.. I guess the opticians haven't quite got the script quite right... and threading a needle ..!!

GinN

GinN Report 26 Feb 2013 21:17

Good to hear of your daughter's success with laser surgery, Carol.
I have been considering lens replacement surgery, but thought I'd give contact leses a try for a while, as my prescription alters quite a bit.
I've never worn disposable ones before, and after a shakey start, I now find them great. It certainly feels great to be free of those ****** specs!

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 26 Feb 2013 21:53

Wasnt suitable for laser surgery as my eyesight problem was age related . I got cataracts in both eyes one after the other and have had cataract surgery . wonderful!! i still have to wears glasses but at least its clear and without them I can still see and read altho its a strain to do that. At least i can have fashionable glasses though.

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 27 Feb 2013 01:18

My brother had laser surgery ~ at least 15 years ago. No problems.

Except............ they gave him a video of the op........ he took great delight in showing it to everyone.

♥†۩ Carol   Paine ۩†♥

♥†۩ Carol Paine ۩†♥ Report 27 Feb 2013 10:53

I know that the treatment is not possible for everyone, myself included, because of different reasons, expense being the most common.

As more are successfully done & they are able to help more types of cases, I do hope that costs will go down so that many more Mums can see that smile I saw yesterday.

Theresa (Cork, Ireland) 157164

Theresa (Cork, Ireland) 157164 Report 27 Feb 2013 11:07

One of the best things I ve ever done!

Had laser eye surgery 5 years ago and its been amazing and saved me money in the long run as I dont need glasses or contacts anymore!

I had a fairly bad prescription for short-sightedness (cant see long distances) and now its nearly perfect! I often forget I actually wore glasses!

The surgeon warned me as I got older I would probably need glasses for long sight (close reading) but that would be fairly normal for anyone with normal sight anyway. The bonus being I wouldnt have to worry about varifocals.

It wasnt the most pleasant of procedures as your eyes are clamped open for a short period of time but the difference is amazingly instant!

My son is now considering it but he is only 24 and your prescription should really be stable for 2 years prior to surgery! Took me til the grand age of 35 for that to happen and then another 2 years to consider it. They also suggest its not done within a year of pregnancy (some even say Breastfeeding but I was still breastfeeding when I had mine done).

I also have an auto-immune condition which includes dry eyes so I was ultra informed before getting it done........... I really cant say how much of a difference it has made to my life. Carol, I had a huge smile on my face!

Wend

Wend Report 27 Feb 2013 11:11

:-) Wonderful Carol. Nothing gives us Mums more pleasure than when our children are happy, does it? <3

BrendafromWales

BrendafromWales Report 27 Feb 2013 11:36

That's wonderful Carol.
Would have had this done if I'd been younger.
Isn't it great what is available these days!
Only worn glasses since 55 ,so got used to them,but can imagine your daughters delight...well worth it!