General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Genes Extras

Genes Reunited subscription bonuses

As a way of saying thank you to our subscribers, we have launched Genes Extras. You'll find exclusive competitions and discounts on family history magazines, days out and much more.

Take me to Genes Extras

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

"The time has come"

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rambling Rose

Rambling Rose Report 28 Feb 2013 21:48

, the Walrus said, "To talk of many things: Of shoes and ships and sealing-wax. Of cabbages and kings And why the sea is boiling hot.And whether pigs have wings. " ( Lewis Carroll).

I was riveted to find out today that the expression used in our house a lot when I was young

" It's no use boiling your cabbages twice" ( or "I'm not boiling my cabbages twice")

Is an Irish proverb, I wonder if it came into the family from my Irish gt grandfather?

" The time has come, the Walrus said...." is also something that featured a lot, along with 'talking turkey'...I hope these don't disappear , I must keep repeating them to Dan so in his old age he can catch himself groaning when he trots them out ;-)

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 28 Feb 2013 22:01

When my children were young and lagging behind me, I'd say:
'Will you walk a little faster?" said a whiting to a snail,
"There's a porpoise close behind us, and he's treading on my tail.'

My daughter says the same thing to her children
:-D

Rambling Rose

Rambling Rose Report 28 Feb 2013 22:11

It's great isn't it Maggie :-)

Von

Von Report 28 Feb 2013 22:19

Maggie
I used to say that to my children too and still say it to my grandchildren.
Von

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 28 Feb 2013 22:19

Wasn't there a Radio 4 programme called Cabbages and Kings?

Rambling Rose

Rambling Rose Report 28 Feb 2013 22:21

I think so Gwynne.