General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

"The time has come"

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rambling

Rambling Report 28 Feb 2013 21:48

, the Walrus said, "To talk of many things: Of shoes and ships and sealing-wax. Of cabbages and kings And why the sea is boiling hot.And whether pigs have wings. " ( Lewis Carroll).

I was riveted to find out today that the expression used in our house a lot when I was young

" It's no use boiling your cabbages twice" ( or "I'm not boiling my cabbages twice")

Is an Irish proverb, I wonder if it came into the family from my Irish gt grandfather?

" The time has come, the Walrus said...." is also something that featured a lot, along with 'talking turkey'...I hope these don't disappear , I must keep repeating them to Dan so in his old age he can catch himself groaning when he trots them out ;-)

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 28 Feb 2013 22:01

When my children were young and lagging behind me, I'd say:
'Will you walk a little faster?" said a whiting to a snail,
"There's a porpoise close behind us, and he's treading on my tail.'

My daughter says the same thing to her children
:-D

Rambling

Rambling Report 28 Feb 2013 22:11

It's great isn't it Maggie :-)

Von

Von Report 28 Feb 2013 22:19

Maggie
I used to say that to my children too and still say it to my grandchildren.
Von

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 28 Feb 2013 22:19

Wasn't there a Radio 4 programme called Cabbages and Kings?

Rambling

Rambling Report 28 Feb 2013 22:21

I think so Gwynne.