General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Scottish Records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Roberta

Roberta Report 1 Mar 2013 13:36

I just joined Genes Reunited today, but now that am doing searches all am finding is England and Wales, I need to see Scottish Records, all i have access is to census that is helpful but I need a lot more, is there somewhere here where I can look up birth certificate, marriage certificates etc otherwise I think I have just wasted $128.00 please tell me am totally wrong !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:-S :-S :-S :-S :-S :-S :-S :-S :-S

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 1 Mar 2013 13:47

Scotlandspeople for births, marriages etc. Civil registration began in Scotland in 1855. Not a subscription site and you need to purchase credits. You can not view online births within the last 100 years, marriages within 75 years and deaths within 50 years.

SP have all the census images from 1841 to 1911

Ancestry and Findmypast have scottish census 1841 to 1901 but only the transcriptions

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 1 Mar 2013 13:48

Roberta, the place for Scottish Records is Scotlands People

http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

You need to buy credits to view records on there, ask on here on Genealogy Chat how to tweak for best results to avoid wasting credits, plenty of the volunteers on here will help you, they are a great bunch :-)

Potty

Potty Report 1 Mar 2013 13:59

Also, for lots of Scottish Records up to about 1875 (some later) try www.familysearch.org - a free site but they only have transcriptions, not images.

Scotlandspeople has images of original entries of births, marriages and deaths which you can view and download (there are restrictions on viewing entries during the last 100 years for births and 75 for marriages. It also has images of baptisms and marriages pre-1855 and Catholic records.

As said above, if you need any help, start a thread on Find Ancestors board.

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 1 Mar 2013 14:06

Roberta, on Scotlands People be careful with records prior to 1855, as they contain very little information, for example if you know a child's D.O.B. and you find the record and pay 5 credits to view, credits cost £7 for 30, hoping it will tell you who the father and mother were, it will probably only tell you who the father was and you probably knew that anyway, found this out to my cost :-(

Don't be afraid to post any query on here, either in Find Ancestors or Genealogy Chat, as I said the volunteers on here are a great bunch, they have helped me no end with my Scottish ancestors :-)

Roberta

Roberta Report 1 Mar 2013 14:07

Wow that was quick, I was expecting a reply in three or four days, that is very helpful about Scotlands People, I will just have to get stuck into the census reports on here, but I really did expect more for what it cost to join anyway It is to late to get stuck into this tonight but I will be back tomorrow, many thanks for your quick supply I wil digest all this info cheers Roberta

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 1 Mar 2013 14:21

Roberta, this is from the Find Ancestors Board, it might be of some use to you:-

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Here are a few helpful hints as to how to get the most out of our message boards.

Give as much detail as possible when explaining who you are trying to find. All known information will make it much easier for volunteer helpers to help you.

If known, try putting the name, place of birth and year of birth in the subject line of your thread.

After posting a question, please stay on the boards for a while as replies are very quick. You may be needed to answer questions and give feedback to the replies given.

Good Luck :-)

Joy

Joy Report 1 Mar 2013 14:44

You may find exploring

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/board,367.0.html
Resources for research in Scotland: Links, Books, Archives, etc.

useful, too (free.)

Happy hunting.

Thelma

Thelma Report 1 Mar 2013 15:54

You may find this site comparison useful.

http://www.thegenealogist.co.uk/images/index/wdytya_compare_full.png

Roberta

Roberta Report 2 Mar 2013 12:48

Thanks everyone for getting back to me, I actually went onto Scotlands People and managed to track down my Great Gran and Grandads Marriage Certificate, but the writing is terrible and there is so much that I cant read, I have blown it up etc but I still cant make out the G.G.Grandparents full name especially the GGGrandmothers Maiden name, what do you all recommend that is good for getting the right information from the certificate :-)

Potty

Potty Report 2 Mar 2013 13:02

What you are seeing is the original entry for the marriage, so there won't be a better image anywhere. If you would like to attach it to a PM to me, I will see if I can make it out - a second pair of eyes often works! CLick on my name in this post to send me a PM.

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 2 Mar 2013 13:13

Roberta, you can ask them if they can provide a clearer copy, I have done this several times and there is no extra charge :-)

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 2 Mar 2013 13:18

Roberta,

From Scotlands People Site:-

I can't read the information on this image. What should I do?

Please contact our customer support selecting the "Illegible Image" option from the Issue dropdown box on the contact form. In the "Description" field please state as much information you can about the image e.g. name, year, GROS/NAS reference number and the type of image.

Roberta

Roberta Report 2 Mar 2013 14:21

Thankyou Scotlands People I will do that.

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 2 Mar 2013 14:56

Roberta ~

I've been using Scotland's People for years (and probably spent enough money for a trip to Scotland).

If you get an image that is illegible they will send you a rescan; if you have real trouble with it, they can help with that too. The staff are very helpful.

Also ~ when searching for unusual names, you can use * and ? if you're not sure of the spelling (it takes a while to work out the system!)