General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Gift subscriptions

Genes Reunited gift subscription

Do you know someone interested in discovering their family history?

You can now buy a gift subscription to Genes Reunited so they can research their family tree.

Buy gift or redeem gift

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Cat astrophe

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

~flying doctor~

~flying doctor~ Report 9 Mar 2013 21:37

Yesterday my grandson went to collect a cat to share his home with him. She is a tortoiseshell but when my daughter saw her she was worried by a lump in her abdomen. I went to check it and found a slim 6" moveable sheet covering most of her abdomen.Cat was rushed straight to our vets who said the lump was possibly non malignent. The vet asked if she had had kittens and we said we didn't think so as she had been a house cat. Lily was put on antibiotics. However, today her former owner phoned my grandson to say she had found a kitten at her house. Daughter took him straight over and they brought it to me to see how old it was. It was the most adorable ginger kitten about 3/4 weeks old. Now how can you not know that your cat has had a kitten for over 3 weeks. There had been 2 more cats given away that the owner said were neutered males ( ha ha ) I think the R S P C A should be informed and she should be banned from keeping animals, what do you think?

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 9 Mar 2013 21:53

i would keep the cat on the anti biotics
and take her back to vets on moday for a check

as the lump may be a retained kitten

poor cat and kiten its most unusula for a cat to have only one kitten :-( :-(

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 9 Mar 2013 22:23

Well, if the male cats were adults, it's pretty easy to see whether they're neutered or not!!
..and pretty remiss not to notice that your cat's pregnant!!

My daughter got me a cat from the cat & kitten shelter.
We were told she had been spayed, as during her last pregnancy, a kitten had got stuck. This cat came from Ireland, and as my sister had lived there, I was well aware of their, lets say, lack of knowledge of domestic animals. The cat had a scar running right across her belly. I thought it a bit of a crude scar for just removing a kitten, and assumed even an Irish vet would be able to remove the womb through such a huge opening. Anyway, my daughter donated the cost of spaying to the centre.

You've guessed it - cat hadn't been spayed. She had 4 kittens. We got mum & kittens neutered. I was going to keep all 5, but mum made it patently obvious she wanted to live alone. She was getting quite violent towards the others, 1 kitten disappeared (whether stolen or harrassed out by the mother, I don't know) so I phoned the cenetre, told them what had happened and said I would be bringing mum back - the theory being 1 cute tabby would be easier to rehome than 3 (by now) young cats - one of which was slightly deformed.

The woman gave me hell!!! Apparently It was MY fault the cat got pregnant, and if I had any problems should have contacted her.
Well, I presumed she had been told the cat had been spayed, and once she was pregnant, not much could be done.
I had no problems until the mother cat started to attack the kittens - and pee my bed!

In the end, my friend took her back - and she was rehomed 2 days later. 'Kittens' are 7 this year.

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 10 Mar 2013 05:49

Poor cat and poor kitten, if it was relying on it's Mum for nourishment it would have been getting very hungry, and obviously there wouldn't have been anything left out for it if the previous owner didn't know the kitten was there. Don't know how they didn't realise what had gone on tho. Wonder what the other new owners will find about their new male cats as time goes on.
I think RSPCA should be informed, if only so a visit could be made to look at any other cats still there and so the other new owners can be contacted. If these stupid people know RSPCA are watching them they might be more careful with their animals.

I saw two gorgeous tortie cats, young adults, needing homes, when I was looking at a site for adopting cats, and I would love them, they look much like one of the cats I had for 16 years but I can't have cats here, it wouldn't be fair. O.h. is just not a pet person, he can't understand how his dad has become besotted with the two cats he and and the stepmum took on some years back, he never had pets as a child or since.

Hope the little kitten does ok, will your grandson keep it as well as the Mum?

Lizxx

~flying doctor~

~flying doctor~ Report 10 Mar 2013 21:04

Yes Asher is keeping the two of them. We rang the emergency vets last night for advice on feeding the kitten overnight as mums milk had dried, she has mastitis and is on antibiotics. Today we took her to our vets and the kitten is 3 weeks old and in excellent health. I wish I had a video of their reuniting, it was a sight to behold. Asher is calling the kitten who is ginger and white Lupin, can you imagine a large ginger tom called Lupin. The mum is Lily and is a tortie. Asher is feeding Lupin cat milk by syringe and today I popped some kitten meat into his mouth and he liked it and ate quite a lot.Some people should never have animals, the reason she got rid of them, she is pregnant God help the baby when the newness wears off.

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 10 Mar 2013 21:08

i am so pleased all is well

give them a big squeeze from me xx <3 <3

~flying doctor~

~flying doctor~ Report 10 Mar 2013 21:18

Thanx Joy. :-) :-)

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 11 Mar 2013 05:35

Love the names Elaine and glad the kitten is doing so well. Hope there aren't more kittens hidden somewhere that have died. Must have been a lovely Mother's Day moment a day early when the cat and kitten were reunited.

As you say, heaven help the poor baby when it arrives.

Loads of pets on our local Gumtree site, being passed on for various reasons.

Lizx