General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Electoral Rolls

Looking for living relatives?

Search our UK Electoral Rolls (2002-2013) and find your living relatives today.

Search Electoral Rolls

New electoral roll records

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How we soon forget.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 15 Mar 2013 16:21

I confused myself yesterday evening. I was watching a re-run of Bergerac and it took me a few minutes of puzzling to work out why somebody was changing a film in a camera. I had actually forgotten how long ago Bergerac was made and how really recent comparitively it is that digital cameras became the norm.

JackBunion

JackBunion Report 15 Mar 2013 16:54

Reminded me of "pictures". Someone in room at back had to change reels - and often got it wrong.

Bergerac was a great programme. Can't remember if they had mobile phones then? Just take these things for granted now. :-D

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 15 Mar 2013 16:58

Trying to think if I have seen a mobile, I have watched several episodes, they are repeated on 'Yesterday' so I tape them to watch when there is nothing on. However, they are strange to watch as a police type programme because the violence is nowhere near as brutal as modern series.

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 15 Mar 2013 18:32

Mobile phones were just about coming in when Bergerac was coming to an end.

They would have been very expensive (£1,000.00+) and looked like house bricks.

JackBunion

JackBunion Report 15 Mar 2013 19:40

This thread is making a young and vital 66-year-old feel incredibly ancient. It seems only a short time ago that we had these Dom Joly phones with a battery pack in a suitcase weighing in excess of 10kgs :-( :-( And how we would shout and crackle - even if other person was just down the road.

Diamonds-R-A-Girls-Best-Friend

Diamonds-R-A-Girls-Best-Friend Report 15 Mar 2013 21:52

In the 80s I worked in a hotel in Jersey where lots of the film crew from Bergerac stayed, wow what parties we had :-D ;-)

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 15 Mar 2013 22:08

Ooh Lesley I am soo envious, did you meet John Nettles?

Diamonds-R-A-Girls-Best-Friend

Diamonds-R-A-Girls-Best-Friend Report 15 Mar 2013 22:14

Yes met John Nettles and Liza Goddard but only briefly they weren't in the same hotel.