General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Fuel bill initiative

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gee

Gee Report 16 Mar 2013 17:45

Not sure if anyone is interested but my local council are running this new scheme

Cheaper fuel bills..........

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/in-your-area/housing-services/environmental-sustainability/big-sheffield-switch.html

It says on the website that you dont have to be from/living in Sheffield

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 16 Mar 2013 19:40

Looks interesting idea. just wish our council would the same.

Harswell

Harswell Report 16 Mar 2013 19:56

Hull offers the same but costs about 10% more than I already pay.
Check first before you sign up.

Gee

Gee Report 16 Mar 2013 20:36

I think it's based on the number of 'customers' they (Council) can gather.

You dont have to be/live in the council area

Sue, you can join this, wherever you are

Harswell

There is no obligation when you register, they just send your an average fuel bill....must be worth 2 minutes on the IPad

Again.....you dont have to 'sign up' but you get the chance to look at your options

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 16 Mar 2013 21:54

how can you save money on paying your bills in Sheffield, if you don't live in Sheffield????

Gee

Gee Report 16 Mar 2013 22:05

Its about a 'collective' buying process....the more/bigger that you 'buy' the better 'deal' you get

It's NOT about 'Sheffield'.....its about a council, doing a 'deal' with the ernergy moguls

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 16 Mar 2013 22:14

ah!

your system is veyr different to ours

the city council takes no part in fuel providing .................. not even in making deals

Our electricity is supplied by a Crown Corporation, our gas by a private corporation that took over from a Crown Corporation ................. but they are limited to what they can charge by a Board of Regulators

The companies have to apply for any increases, and can be told to roll them back if they don't obey the rules.

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 16 Mar 2013 22:22

In my opinion, there is only one way to save money on energy and that was outlined on a recent thread I put up. Some followed advice and made big savings. I myself save 20% compared to BG's cheapest tariff and about 15% against these council run scams.

If you really think someone in councils is not getting a backhander for hooking people up to quite an expensive deal, then go ahead and sign up.

Where do you think large energy companies make savings by having loads of customers in one geographical area. Hardly any companies read meters very much now, ad that is the only cost saving I can think of.

Gee

Gee Report 16 Mar 2013 22:39

Sylvs...

'your system is very different to ours'

Of course, you numpty

;-)

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 16 Mar 2013 22:48

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/general_chat/thread/1318247

Several councils and comparison sites are trying to get people to switch. I believe no customer will gain.

Gee

Gee Report 16 Mar 2013 23:11

:-\

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 16 Mar 2013 23:56

It was very interesting here some years ago.

Major fuel (gas and electricity) suppliers complained bitterly about the Crown Corporations having a "monopoly" on supplying the fuel to customers.

After years of complaining, the politicians gave in, and changed the law so that customers could buy their gas or electricity from whoever they liked .....................

.............. so we had months of these independent companies trying to get us to sign up with them .................. phone calls, knocking on doors, day after day after day. Some days I would have 4 or 5 salesmen knocking on my door .............. and once, 2 of them were working for the same company!

The deals they offered were good .......................... and the pressure the "salesmen" applied was incredible. Including outright lies!!!

You had to sign up for several years .......... 3 or 5, or more. But many people did sign up ..... after all, who wouldn't like to save 50% on fuel costs???

It was only when you delved deeper that you realised that the "deal" was good for only one year, then the company could raise the cost to anything they wanted.

The time period for signing new customers came to an end .........

......... and 1 year later, all the companies increased the cost, by many percentage points, much much higher than the Crown Corp was asking.

and people could not get out of the deal ................. even dementia was not an acceptable excuse, unless children got lawyers involved, proving that so-and-so was suffering from dementia on such-and-such a date and could not possibly have understood what they were signing.

We did not change from the Crown corporations, and are still happy ..................

we have a deal where we pay the same amount per month, pro-rated over the year. The result is that we pay more than we use in the summer, but that is compensated by paying less than we owe in winter.

It is all balanced out in June ................ sometimes we have to pay a little bit, but usually we're in credit.

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 17 Mar 2013 04:27

We're fed up with our high power bills.

Getting solar panels installed in a couple of weeks.

Not cheap, but they should pay for themselves in about four years.

Whatever power we don't use goes back to the grid, and we get credits :-D