General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Amazing sight on the road tonight

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 19 Mar 2013 22:57

Could not believe my eyes, never witnessed such a thing before - a cyclist with a light front and rear :-S :-S :-S

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 19 Mar 2013 22:59

Safety helmet too?

:-D

Muffyxx

Muffyxx Report 19 Mar 2013 22:59

Phone the MOD immediately............it's most likely a UFO :-D :-D :-D

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 20 Mar 2013 01:18

Nearly as good as seeing a car with all its lights working........there are many one eyed monsters around , where I live.........headlight out......so they put on fog lights!!!

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 20 Mar 2013 06:16

My o.h. is good about using lights on his bike and checks them regularly but he won't wear a helmet. He bikes to work when the weather is ok but has gone off this morning in the car as it's raining and sleeting. When he doesn't bike for a few days he notices it and feels better when he gets the exercise, it helps his diabetes too.

I am fed up with coming across cyclists unlit and wearing dark clothes, they are stupid to risk their lives and those of others who might swerve at the last minute to avoid them and hit someone else.

Lizx

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 20 Mar 2013 08:08

I know who it was Ann!

It's the one who rides on the pavement and then swerves out in front of you as you approach the traffic lights and then weaves between all the cars to cross the road!

A couple of years ago, I was driving a long a busy road at night and I knew there was a pelican crossing just ahead of me and I could dimly see a cyclist 'loitering' on the pavement on the pavement on the left just before the crossing.

As I neared the crossing, he suddenly went into speed mode and shot out in front of me with a grin on his face.

Obviously, he thought it was hilarious as he rode off into the dark.

Too much testosterone........ :-(

terryj

terryj Report 20 Mar 2013 08:47

had a row with a couple of hobby bobbies a while back as they road there bikes along the pavement
asked them if during their training they had been taught it was illegal to cycle on the pavement

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 20 Mar 2013 09:14

Am seeing a lot more horses on road this year than ever before. Is it the triple dip perhaps. Horses cheap to buy at moment? Drivers in South Wales valleys behave very differently to Northants. In Northants, you ram your foot on brake when you see one (which is very often) then make sure you have a clear mile of road ahead and drive slowly round waving and smiling at the rider.

In South Wales you pull up as close to horses buttocks as possible, slam your foot on accelerator whne you have more than 20 yards of clear road and give rider a frosty glare and some advice. :-(

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 20 Mar 2013 11:32

.......and......horse riders don't have to clear up after their horses either.... :-|

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 20 Mar 2013 12:43

As someone who regularly drives at night (very early morning) I am often tempted to stop and ask those few cyclist who do have lights (1 or 2 out of every 10)

Why have a really bright light on the front of your bike, but a piss poor albeit useless one on the back. You are more likely to be hit from behind than someone careering across the road and hit you!!!

Oh and do you not know any hand signals, I have twice in the last few weeks had
1: a cyclist pull out of a side road straight across the front of my car to a road on the other side
2: a cyclist in a cycle lane do something similar

My father was a cyclist so I am always aware that they are about, but in many cases they just do not help themselves.

And stop using the lights with a dynamo that runs the lights from pedal power, unless your legs are going nineteen to the dozen they are totally useless. And get a bell..

vera2010

vera2010 Report 20 Mar 2013 12:47

I wish all cyclists would do the same as the one I saw recently. Saw him miles away (well a good distance up the road) he had red lights flashing all around him. Wondered what it was at first but it certainly alerted my attention.

Some of these car drivers could do with a lesson in when to turn their lights on also - grey day, grey road, grey car. They seem to think they'll somehow run down their battery perhaps.

Vera

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 20 Mar 2013 13:11

My bug bear is that now all new cars seem to have really bright lights, so bright that a night it often looks like they are driving on full beam. They blind oncoming traffic.

Then you get the eejits, who do drive on full beam, if they need them on the main roads in London they should not be driving they must be blind!!!

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 20 Mar 2013 13:45

what annoys me is cars/ lorries parked up with headlights blazing....often on the wrong side of the road..

why do you need headlights on, in nose to tail traffic? or while at a standstill?

yards and yards of cars stationary, indicating in dedicated lanes where you cant do anything other than turn off?

Merlin

Merlin Report 20 Mar 2013 13:49

Ann, You have roads? all we have are "Potholes" :-D

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 20 Mar 2013 15:32

we do have potholes as decorative features too :-D

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 20 Mar 2013 19:04

Just driving home tonight in half light near Bridgend. First I saw a bike comin g with a very bright white flashing light. No problem there, but then noticed another completely unlit bike was overtaking him!!!!

And a horse. At 6.40pm in March. No light on his nose, no light swinging from tail and the young lady was wearing all dark clothes. Some Goth make up would have helped me see her :-)

Mayfield

Mayfield Report 20 Mar 2013 20:17

If the bicycle was a new invention almost certainly health and safety would not allow them to be used on the road. No rider training or ability test. Poor rider protection, unable to keep pace with fast moving traffic, poor visibility in rain and hail, poor braking in anything but ideal conditions and very vulnerable to pot holes and drain covers. They would probably be restricted to off road use for sport and recreation only.

Liz, please pass on my experience with helmets to you OH.

We insisted that our girls wore them to school despite name calling, but fortunately they listened to us, one of them fell off and hit her head on the edge of the kerbstone apart from a chipped tooth the only damage was a nasty dent in her helmet.

Mayfield

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 20 Mar 2013 20:20

safety helmets are a must - believe me I know - I worked on an Acquired Brain Damage Unit for years and saw the results of head injuries - not good

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 21 Mar 2013 07:50

Mayfield, I have told him of that probablity many a time, he has fallen off a couple of times but luckily didn't hit his head. He uses pannier bags so they help keep the bike from falling flat but even so I think a helmet is a necessity. He does wear a high vis coat or waistcoat as has them issued at work and uses them when travelling to and fro on his bike. He only uses the bike for work.

My son is as bad - he was brought up with bike means bike helmet and has two of different sizes, but doesn't wear one these days. He has ridden a moped and scooter etc so knows the dangers and wore a helmet then but won't use a bike helmet.

As he doesn't live at home and is 30, there's not much I can do about it.

Lizx