General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Genes Extras

Genes Reunited subscription bonuses

As a way of saying thank you to our subscribers, we have launched Genes Extras. You'll find exclusive competitions and discounts on family history magazines, days out and much more.

Take me to Genes Extras

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Was you a Mod,Rocker or a Hippie in the 60's?

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ann

ann Report 23 Mar 2013 21:53

I was a mod. Dressed in mohair suits dolly rocker shoes and had cropped hair. Hot pants and mini skirts and waistcoats. Made a lot of my own clothes as I was a dressmaker. Now a bit of history

Hayley   Empress of Drama

Hayley Empress of Drama Report 23 Mar 2013 22:06

i was a twinkle in my dads eye and I was born the summer of luvvvee you know the date Annie....however if I was too jump in to my TTM then I would be a mod :-D

SueMaid

SueMaid Report 23 Mar 2013 22:09

I was a hippy and still am in some ways :-D

Kay????

Kay???? Report 23 Mar 2013 22:21

Bibi dresses,

Twotone clothes,

Staks shoes,

Monkey Boots.

Quant ,,............,Mod.

LollyWithSprinklez

LollyWithSprinklez Report 23 Mar 2013 22:22

A Mod definitely....went the whole way, Vespa Scooter to Brighton etc in my parka, loved the music and the clothes.

Moved on late 60s to my Hippy era, far more laid back and relaxed ;-)

Now I am Hippy again ....... in clothes size anyway :-(

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 23 Mar 2013 22:24

i was a rocker
leather the smell of oil and petrol and speed all the way

and my butler was the leader of the pack :-D :-D

GinN

GinN Report 23 Mar 2013 22:25

Always been a would be Hippy, into Folk Music and New Age stuff,but also like Rock, and look like a normal Nan!

~`*`Jude`*`~

~`*`Jude`*`~ Report 23 Mar 2013 22:30

A rocker of course:)))....me winkle picker stilettos that had toes that curled up, l stuffed them with cotton wool but it did'nt work....lol, jeans so tight l could'nt get um off. Me mum would be having a heart attack as l drove off on the back of boyfriends bike...no helmets in those days!!
Oh yes the smell of leather:))

jude :-D :-D

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 23 Mar 2013 22:38

I was a "part-time" mod lol

I worked for the public service, in a VERY conservative office....... I wore a uniform during the week and "dressed up" at weekends. Didn't mind, because I didn't have to worry about what to wear to work......... but the boss was a pain in the you know what......... kept making comments about shoes, hairstyles, makeup etc; one day she came into the office with a ruler & measured our skirts, to see how far above the knee they went! I got out of that prison after three years lol

These days I'm more of a hippie :-D with sarongs & sandals, and I gave up trying to straighten my hair

SueMaid

SueMaid Report 23 Mar 2013 22:42

I also worked in a very conservative office. Our office manager measured our skirts too. She was an older lady so no miniskirts for her. The next job I had we wore a uniform so I guess the hippy came out on the weekends :-D

jax

jax Report 23 Mar 2013 22:51

Grannie Annie

What you have described sounds like what we called a skinhead/suedehead...which I was in 1971 when hot pants came about and the mohair and two tone tonic coats, suits and dresses were the thing to have...Oh and a must have Crombie, sheepskin and harrington jacket, Ben Shermans, staypress and brogues for the boys (I had them too :-D)

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 24 Mar 2013 01:18

I was a very young schoolchild in the '60's.

However, like Jax, I was a skinhead (of the two tone variety).

Older boyfriend (now ex) was a mod in his time. He also wore Ben Sherman shirts.

I still have a pair of Doc Martens bought in 1974. I was no longer a skinhead, but needed some workboots to tramp around the worksite - they were extending Sumburgh Airport, and as PA to the site manager, part of my job was to keep the lads 'focussed'. They were more useful than the thigh high black stilletto boots the yard lad brought back from Lerwick for me. :-S

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 24 Mar 2013 01:22

I still have (and use) a tan suede shoulder bag I bought in 1971. I had knee-high boots to match.

My nieces ask if I had it when I was a hippie

:-D

SueMaid

SueMaid Report 24 Mar 2013 01:33

Is the bag fringed? I had one of those :-D

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 24 Mar 2013 01:41

lol, no fringes on the bag.

My brother still has his fringed jacket!

SueMaid

SueMaid Report 24 Mar 2013 01:45

My OH still has a suede fringed jacket too - it's glorious :-D He just can't bring himself to get rid of it and I can't blame him. It's a work of art :-D

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 24 Mar 2013 05:46

I was a Mod first time round, long before The Jam and the second wave of moddom, until Hippies arrived on the scene then I happily converted.

To be honest I was a Mod because I liked the clothes and the music but preferred Rocker boys and motor bikes to Mods and scooters. Only room for one vain person in any relationship and that was always going to be me.

I found my niche with hippydom and like SueMaid I still am in many ways.

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 24 Mar 2013 07:36

A mod for about a month then got bored, they were not lively enough for me. Became a Rocker in with the motorbike crowd and there I stayed. The smell of the two stroke engine,fringed jacket with a large skull design on the back and chains looped all over it. Oh happy days. Mother had a fit when I bought my own motorbike and rode it around London with pride. :-D :-D :-D :-D. I also was down at Brighton when the fights broke out with the mods but hasten to add I did not get involved I was just a bystander.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 24 Mar 2013 08:57

1965 Triumph Bonneville T120 650
The most beautiful thing I ever owned, I wish I had never sold it.

Modern bikes are efficient, the clutch is on the wrong side and mostly they have no soul. Brakes? What for? Triumph try but are defeated by EU Regs. There is still Ducatti.

I wish I had never sold my Doors LPS... I wish...
Brighton Rock

Wouldn't be seen dead on a poncy Lambretta which are now selling for amazing sums of money. AFAIK a TV175 was good for 60mph tops and with all the flags, mirrors, lights and beehive hairdos on the pillion a bit less.

Given the state of hifi in the 60s we used to take the sound gear down to Brighton in a minivan with the back full of speakers and power amps lol.
R.I.P The West Pier

If you were into Mods music the Kinks Ray Davies is still around a few years back with "Working Men's Cafe". All the album needs is a coffee bar.
OTOH

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5SuiSUbtg0

I like to dream, yes, yes
Right between the sound machine
On a cloud of sound I drift in the night
Any place it goes is right
Goes far, flies near
To the stars away from here

Well, you don't know what
We can find
Why don't you come with me little girl
On a magic carpet ride

We can see
Why don't you tell your dreams to me
Fantasy will set you free

[Chorus]
Close your eyes now
Look inside now
Let the sound
Take you away

Last night I hold Aladdin's lamp
So I wished that I could stay
Before the thing could answer me
Well, someone came and took the lamp away

I looked
Around
A lousy candle's all I found

We can find
Why don't you come with me little girl
On a magic carpet ride

We can see
Why don't you tell your dreams to me
Fantasy will set you free

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 24 Mar 2013 09:01

I wish I still had mine, a beautiful maroon Ariel 650. It was a real mean machine :-D