General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

When A Politician Says Trust Me

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 27 Mar 2013 08:23

When I read of hear a politician using the phrases "trust me" or "I understand your concerns" I immediately become suspicious of their intentions, there again I am usually cynical of most modern day politicians ;-)

In today's Telegraph Eric Pickles tells readers - Trust me I won't let the bulldozers wreck Middle England.

I know Telegraph readers don’t want land grabs and free-for-all's. I understand your concerns. No-one who loves our idyllic and precious English countryside wants to see the sword of Damocles hanging over it. Myself included.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/greenpolitics/planning/9955429/People-condemned-to-living-in-rabbit-hutch-houses-without-planning-reforms-Eric-Pickles-says.html

Do you think the new National Planning Policy Framework that comes into force today will result in a free-for-all for developers?

BrianW

BrianW Report 27 Mar 2013 09:31

Tony Bliar's favourites were "I'm a pretty straight kind of guy" when he was lying through his teeth; and "It's time to move on" when he'd lost an argument but wasn't prepared to change his course of action.

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 27 Mar 2013 10:19

It is refreshing to me that Boris allowed Eddie Mair to jump all over him last Sunday morning.

He reminds me of those property adverts years ago in Sunday papers. "Magnificent, lake, jacuzzi, only £100,000" One of estate agents (Brookes posiibly) did the opposite and sold truthfully. "Very cramped rooms, damp in most, ridiculously expensive at £100,000" and sold loads of property :-D

And I could criticise Boris on so many counts. But he has just held his hands up to all of it and continues to be far more popular than Cameron or the Labour leader Milliband - who I note has resigned from politics this morning and gone to live in New York. Unless there is more than one faceless Milliband (heaven forbid).

We now know that we have been lied to by politicians for over 30 years at least. During that time, they have used elected public office and public service to be a quick route to riches and honours. The bank accounts of Thatcher, Blair and Mark Thatcher should be blocked and a levy imposed on each of them. TODAY!!!!

ps I am not a Boris fan - I disagree with his politics quite a bit. But he is refeshing and what is needed in politics.

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 27 Mar 2013 10:39

John, it was David Milliband who resigned, not the Labour Leader Ed Milliband ;-)

terryj

terryj Report 27 Mar 2013 10:40

you can always tell when a politician is lying

their lips move

john its his brother that lost the leadership vote that has gone over the pond

edit
got beat to it there

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 27 Mar 2013 10:48

Shame it isn't Ed who has gone to New York. Then we would have had a leadership election and some excitement. Yes, the Labour opposition really do have an elected leader - had to wiki that. Policy is to be enraged by Tory policy then suggest something vaguely similar

An array of talent would have come forward - none of whom we would ever have heard of. My money would have been on Alistair Darling, because his eyebrow colour is so different to his hair :-) ;-)

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 27 Mar 2013 11:17

The days when you could trust a Politician are long gone,

The democratic system in this country is broken and it's not going to fix it's self

I don't no the answer but feel we need a new kind of system the problem with that is it would be the same Politicians we have now who would decide what that system was,

viva la revolution

Roy

BrianW

BrianW Report 27 Mar 2013 11:25

I find difficulty in taking Ed M seriously simply because he reminds me of Wallace & Grommit.

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 27 Mar 2013 11:35

Sad to say, it seems to me that you have to be duplicitous to succeed in politics these days.

Cameron, Gove, and Osborne hardly try to hide it, it's so obvious just looking at them that they don't believe what they are saying. Smug's the word.

Old time politicians may have had many flaws but their hearts were usually in the right place.

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 27 Mar 2013 11:46

The only politician I had any faith in was John Smith the Leader of the Labour Party and MP for Monklands East.

He was someone I knew and respected, he had that unique combination of integrity and humility, sadly he died from a fatal heart attack in 1994 and we lost someone who could possibly have changed the face of politics for ever.

R.I.P. John

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 27 Mar 2013 11:47

two words never to be used in the same sentence - politician/trust - they are strangers to each other

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 27 Mar 2013 11:56

Our politicians save us money as they do not need heating in the House of Commons, they generate enough hot air to heat the building :-D :-D :-D

K

K Report 27 Mar 2013 13:04

The fall in house building relates to the economic situation rather than previous planning legislation. The NPPF is a shortened version of the previous guidance in many cases.

Interesting to see how those authorities without a Local Plan cope. I still think it will be planning by appeal, but the sustainability requirement of the NPPF may stop many schemes.

However I wouldn't trust Pickles with anything!

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 27 Mar 2013 15:18

especially a bag of chips :-D

LilyL

LilyL Report 27 Mar 2013 17:15

Do you know, I don't think I trust one word uttered by a single politician the world over, which is to put it mildly 'sad state of affairs'! Whenever I hear one of them potificate from here or any far flung place, my immediate reaction is 'I don't believe you'! At best they manipulate the truth, and at worse they just downright 'pull the wool'. They must be aware of how a lot of us feel, but I guess that they are so ##### they simply don't care! Look at the poor population of Cyprus. what a nightmare for them - doubt we'll see many impovished politicians or bankers. something tells me that they were' tipped' the wink weeks ago!!!!!

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 28 Mar 2013 07:00

They talk the talk but don't do the walk :-|

Just got my gas bill in and that made me think of what David Cameron promised in October 2011 when he called a summit with the energy companies aimed at slashing energy bills.

Here we are about 18 months later, so what has he achieved, nothing, and we face the prospects of even higher prices next year, however the energy bosses have done ok :-|

Five bosses at the owners of British Gas have shared a £16.4million payout as families face soaring bills amid freezing temperatures :-|