General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

New Military Records

New military records

Was your ancestor a war hero?

View thousands of brand new military records, including Chelsea Pensioner records, Military Nurses, Prisoners of war and much more.

View military records today

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Surnames in our family tree...

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

GHeather

GHeather Report 3 Apr 2013 18:41

How many surnames is it possible to have in a family tree, how many have you got ?? I'm building up a lot now, so, hope you can give me some info on this, thanks.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 3 Apr 2013 18:43

I would imagine there are hundreds in a normal tree if you go down all the branches

take a family like my father's - 11 children - all married and had children - then the children marry and so on - limitless really from just one branch

GHeather

GHeather Report 4 Apr 2013 12:26

Ok thanks AnnC, I suppose I could have put my question a bit better, but your probably right, goes into the hundreds... amazing isn't it!

Sharron

Sharron Report 4 Apr 2013 12:53

Depends where you live really.

I live in a Sussex village so six would be about the lot I would think.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 4 Apr 2013 13:26

I've got 84 pages in my Names Summary so that equates to over 1,600 surnames.

However, if I sort by number of persons, then from page 13 onwards there are 10 or less people for each one.

It's the old 90/10 rule again. 90% of share just 10% of the surnames.

Budgie Rustler

Budgie Rustler Report 4 Apr 2013 13:41

In family tree ... 3559
Marriages ......... 1581
Generations ......14
Surnames ..........787
Ave life span ...... 65.2
Earliest date .......1581

GHeather

GHeather Report 4 Apr 2013 14:26

WOW!!! Massive amount of surnames...!!!