General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

New Military Records

New military records

Was your ancestor a war hero?

View thousands of brand new military records, including Chelsea Pensioner records, Military Nurses, Prisoners of war and much more.

View military records today

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Is "reality" type TV a little responsible for..

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

~Lynda~

~Lynda~ Report 3 Apr 2013 20:28

How some people lead there lives?

~Lynda~

~Lynda~ Report 3 Apr 2013 20:28

For instance in the case of Mick Philpott, he appeared on two programmes, Jeremy Kyle, and Ann Widdecombe Versus the Benefits Culture. The majority of us if we saw these programmes would, I assume, think him a no hoper, then a few would think of him as a "great bloke" for sleeping with two women, on alternate nights.

But , by being on TV, did this make him think he was so important, which lead him to believe he was invincible, therefore thought whatever he did was o.k and would get away with anything?

Why do programme makers, believe that the public want to see such people, what good does it do?

Only Mick Philpott and his no good conspirators, are guilty of the deaths of six children, but are "we" the public, or programme makers, guilty of giving these types kudos by watching programmes about them?

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 3 Apr 2013 20:30

I can't abide 'reality' TV. Never watch it
It's all a set up, it's cheap, it attracts certain types of people that I have absolutely nothng in common with and (when it's on BBC) I resent paying licence money for it.
.. it's not what I call entertainment..

SheilaWestWilts

SheilaWestWilts Report 3 Apr 2013 20:32

Lynda - I think you make good points, but I guess 'they' will carry on making these types of programmes as long as 'we' keep watching them. To some (at the time of the prog) he may have been some sort of 'role model' but I'm sure most of us regret having to walk the same earth as a man like that... :-(

I also think the programme makers have to keep coming up with new, more 'scandalous' stories to keep the viewers interested, for some it seems airing your dirty laundry is not only theraputic, it's absolutely necessary! So many progs now seem to exist to put people down or air their pathetic, tacky lives to all who want to watch.

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 3 Apr 2013 20:43

precisely - Lynda one assumes because you are passing comment that you have watched these programmes so you are feeding the hunger for them.

I think that it is easy to blame these broadcasts and it came out in court that he already was "delusionary" before appearing on such programmes.

~Lynda~

~Lynda~ Report 3 Apr 2013 20:43

Me neither Maggie, but it occurred to me today when I overheard someone talking about the Mick Philpott case, they were saying about watching him on the two programmes, which made me wonder why it is that TV seems obsessed showing programmes about no gooders, even the so called celbs, who one week get out of jail, where the public were saying how awful they were, then next week are on a Big Brother, where you hear people say, what a great guy. I don't get it :-(

Sheila, I can honestly say I don't watch BB type programmes, I find them cringe worthy, and I wonder why anyone would want to watch anyone sitting down, talking a load of cobblers. I doubt if reality TV was taken off TV many people would really miss it.

Hayley   Empress of Drama

Hayley Empress of Drama Report 3 Apr 2013 20:48

Cheap nasty and easy programes I dont know how people like the Philpotts fall over themselves to get on shows like Jermey Kyle, My big fat Gypsy wedding is another and prisoners wives have to agree make me cringe I not interested, but I do get a tad concerned that if shows like this are broadcast in other countries this is how the British are protrayed....makes me cringe :-|

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 3 Apr 2013 20:48

Lynda I do agree with you. But it is what the mass viewing public craves - do you really think money (a terribly awful lot of it) would be spent on producing such programmes were there no interest in them?
I think it is easy to say that these sorts or programmes exacerbate the situation but most people who coommit such attrocities are inherently bad or deranged to start with.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 3 Apr 2013 20:50

The few times I've seen it - I watched a few episodes of Jerry Springer and Judge Judy, it was like some macabre peep show.
People coming on TV to air their dirty washing and attempt to humiliate another person.
They also seemed to think others would be interested in their perversions, foibles etc. Maybe some are, maybe they, like the 'guests' on these shows, should get a life.

Chrissie

Chrissie Report 3 Apr 2013 20:54

I'm guilty of watching some reality tv at times and also soaps sometimes. I don't think either are the cause but I do think both are part of a culture that a lot of people seem to have grown towards, where they think shouting and bawling are normal and, as old fashioned as it sounds, where morality is not so highly valued and where being a part of this culture makes you like a sort of celebrity. I don't think these programmes are responsible but I think I they add to a general culture that some people buy into.

~Lynda~

~Lynda~ Report 3 Apr 2013 20:55

Diito Maggie