General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

TV advert scam

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 8 Apr 2013 13:39

Just had a phone call from my ex husband to say they bought some music CD's advertised on television. He phoned the number given on the. Screen and gave his building society card details. This was last week and since then his card has been used in two well know shops. His building Society, who put a stop on his card, told him that they have had a lot of problems stemming from this TV advert. Luckily he spotted it straight away and at the moment is £89.00 down. If he hadn't checked his statement online it could have been a lot worse.

Wendy

Karen in the desert

Karen in the desert Report 8 Apr 2013 13:59

Ouch!!
I haven't seen the ads but isn't it terrible that so many scams are about these days...it results in us having to check over everything these days and be suspicious of so much.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 8 Apr 2013 14:00

Ouch! If he said which company it was...or described the advert....it would help others not to fall into the same trap.

It might, of course, be a rogue employee who has stolen his CC/DC details

Kay????

Kay???? Report 8 Apr 2013 15:03

If its UK then there is a cause to air the channel to the body authorities.I would think all advertising on TV has to comply with strict rules.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 8 Apr 2013 15:50

I think there is a legality for his building society to refund that money. But he may well have to mention it to them.

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 8 Apr 2013 17:19

The building society, the Halifax are trying to get the money back presumably from the shops, one was Pound Stretcher and I can't remember the other one. If they are unsuccessful they will reimburse him. I will ask him more about the advert when next I speak to him. I have seen the same or similar ad myself. As my ex has sky with a thousand and one channels I don't know if he will remember which one advertised the CD's.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 8 Apr 2013 20:21

I am almost sure they are supposed to pay the money back and then get it from the shops, but as long as he gets it in the end.