General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Gift subscriptions

Genes Reunited gift subscription

Do you know someone interested in discovering their family history?

You can now buy a gift subscription to Genes Reunited so they can research their family tree.

Buy gift or redeem gift

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Famous person from the past...

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 16 Apr 2013 15:49

William Cowper was mad as a packet of wasps.

GHeather

GHeather Report 16 Apr 2013 12:28

Thanks for the interesting reply Greenfingers. :-)

Greenfingers

Greenfingers Report 15 Apr 2013 17:20

Agatha Christie,, to tell her how brilliant her books were and ask why she went missing that time.....also Napoleon...I am a fan and would love to understand him more....and Richard III for the same reasons

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 12 Apr 2013 03:00

Getting confused a bit. Is it being suggested that Marilyn Monroe died as a virgin. :-S

I would like to have met two gentlemen who lived in Olney back in 18th century. One a lovely, gentle man who was a famous poet. The other a big and blustering man who was a slave ship captain in his earlier days and could swear and fight for England.

In later life, this unlikley couple were very close friends. Love to have joined them over a cup of tea in Olney - John Newton and William Cowper (pronounced cooper) :-) :-)

Gins

Gins Report 11 Apr 2013 20:09

Sheffield Workingman's Club!

GP...try Ecclesall Road, Sheffield

SheilaWestWilts

SheilaWestWilts Report 11 Apr 2013 19:59

Julius Caesar - find him fascinating. I guess I would have to brush up on my Latin though :-D

GHeather

GHeather Report 11 Apr 2013 19:34

LilyL, I think you would have liked to have met Charles II ? Anyway, Thomas Heather was Chaplain to him, my own surname, he maybe linked to my family ?

GHeather

GHeather Report 11 Apr 2013 19:31

Brill replies, I enjoyed reading them all, thanks to you ALL for posting! :-D <3 ;-)

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 11 Apr 2013 19:19

Oliver Cromwell is allegedly in my family tree - Uncle Ollie in our house!!!! It is quite feasible actually

GeordiePride

GeordiePride Report 11 Apr 2013 19:16

GINS - You are quite right - Grace, Elegance and Beauty sums her up completely.

I can picture myself taking her for a drink in a Sheffield Workingman's Club and watching the men's jaws drop as we walk through the door then off for a chip butty afterwards. :-D :-D :-D

GP

Gins

Gins Report 11 Apr 2013 18:54

She was absolutely beautiful

GP.........so she was. Not just her looks, she 'had' something, grace?

GinN

GinN Report 11 Apr 2013 18:49

Elizabeth 1 has always fascinated me. The strongest of the Tudors, and as she said of herself, she had the body of a woman but the heart and mind of a king. Pity that the Tudor dynasty died with her.

I'd like to ask herif she really died a virgin!

Island

Island Report 11 Apr 2013 18:48

Oh what the heck.........

Elvis ;-) :-D

AnnC, LHO - good one :-)

GeordiePride

GeordiePride Report 11 Apr 2013 18:41

I would loved to have met Audrey Hepburn when she made "Breakfast at Tiffanys" in 1961. She was absolutely beautiful.

GP

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 11 Apr 2013 18:29

Cromwell

Cooper

Cooper Report 11 Apr 2013 17:59

Emma Darwin,

I visited her marital home and would love to find out more about her Wedgewood family

Teresa

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 11 Apr 2013 17:51

Lee Harvey Oswald would be interesting - did he or did he not kill JFK?

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 11 Apr 2013 17:51

Gins - Marilyn Monroe - good call that one

I absolutely loved her, tragic life on the whole

Paula+

Paula+ Report 11 Apr 2013 15:56

GP I agree and she was born in 1780, so she really was a woman before her time.

LilyL

LilyL Report 11 Apr 2013 15:54

Charles 11! I'd love to have had an audience with him!