General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

New Military Records

New military records

Was your ancestor a war hero?

View thousands of brand new military records, including Chelsea Pensioner records, Military Nurses, Prisoners of war and much more.

View military records today

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

All blue eyed people are genetically related.

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

GHeather

GHeather Report 23 Apr 2013 17:45

I found out more online about a villiage, a location where this Blue eyed gene came about; also some info about milk with a link to this colour, strange but true! Check it out online... too much to post on here... all very interesting!

Annx

Annx Report 23 Apr 2013 17:07

That is why mixing all the colours of different races together will not produce the coffee colour like it says in the song. Genetics doesn't work like that and is always affected by the dominant/recessive influence. A recessive gene can be carried unknown for many generations, and only appear when paired with a like gene or gene recessive to it from the other parent. Then the picture can be more complicated as some genes are sex linked (it's why tortoiseshell cats are always female. :-) and also other genes can have influence and affect the outcome too.

You can only inherit particular genes from your grandparents and further back if those particular genes were inherited from them by your parents. Remember you only inherit half of each pair of genes from each parent in each generation. You have 25% from each of your 4 grandparents, half of that from each of your great grandparents.

Annx

Annx Report 23 Apr 2013 16:59

People with blue eyes (mine are blue) lack some of the pigment melatonin in the iris of their eyes. This means their eyes let in more light than brown eyed people's eyes do so they are more likely to get cataracts. So, keep your shades on in the sun to help prevent this if you are blue eyed. Also, it may explain why I could never stand the glare of artificial light at work, yet others said they needed them on!!

If someone with blue eyes has a partner with brown eyes and they have a blue eyed child, then the brown eyed parent is usually carrying a blue recessive gene. If they weren't and had 2 brown eye genes all the children they had with a blue eyed person would be brown eyed and all carry a recessive blue gene. If 2 brown eyed people married who were both carrying a recessive blue gene, 25% of their children are likely to be brown eyed with 2 brown eyed genes, 50% would be brown eyed but carry a recessive blue gene (ie same as their parents) and 25% would be blue eyed with 2 recessive blue genes.

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 23 Apr 2013 16:16

I was taught a little about genetics on a general science course. The lecturer told us this to explain things to someone having difficulty with the concept. At conception someone pulls out a pack of cards for every part of you and makes a choice of which one. All your ancestors parts were in the packs so you could have gt gt grandmother's hair colour, father's eyes and gt grandfather's nose, grandfather's legs and mother's feet etc.lol :-D

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 23 Apr 2013 16:05

How does this work?
Mum- Brown Eyes
Dad-Pale Grey/Blue Eyes
Sibling No1 - Hazel Eyes
Sibling No 2 - Green eyes
Sibling No 3-Brown Eyes
ME - "Beautiful Big Blue Eyes"
Sibling No 5 -Pale Blue eyes
;-)
Only those with Brown or Hazel eyes have dark or sallow skin
The rest of us are peely wally .We burn and peel! :-D :-D :-D

Paula+

Paula+ Report 23 Apr 2013 14:17

Merlin you do so make me laugh :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D <3

GHeather

GHeather Report 23 Apr 2013 13:38

Blues eyes: it all started around the Black Sea area... but what part I wonder ? Perhaps we will never know the exact location... ? What country are we talking about ? Also why in the area of the Black sea ? Hope to find out more online.

Merlin

Merlin Report 23 Apr 2013 12:43

I think" Attilla The Hun " and" Vlad the impaler" had Blue Eyes,but they turned Black after a Fight. :-D :-D :-D :-D

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 23 Apr 2013 12:34

Yup, my post appeared.

:-D

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 23 Apr 2013 12:34

I'll try again!

I am NOT using "reply".......... so if this post disappears...........

Both my parents had blue eyes, I think my father's parents both had blue eyes; my mother's father had "black Irish" eyes and her mother had hazel/green eyes.

My four brothers all have blue eyes, I have greenish/hazel eyes, like grandma.

Not a thing offensive in this post. So if the "moderator" is removing my posts, I want to know WHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GHeather

GHeather Report 23 Apr 2013 11:44

I think someone will have to write a book about: eye colour. :-) Then again, perhaps someone already has ? :-)

GHeather

GHeather Report 23 Apr 2013 11:30

I really enjoyed reading through ALL those very interesting replies, so many different thoughts/views/ideas, Brill! :-D :-) :-D ;-) <3

Maryanna

Maryanna Report 23 Apr 2013 11:26

My eyes are a very odd colour. Sort of blueish green with a gold star around the pupil. Sometimes they look green other times hazel or dark blue or even purple.

My dad and his parents all had brown eyes.

My mum and her parents all had blue grey eyes.

My husband has light blue eyes, his dads were brown his mums were grey.

My eldest son has hazel eyes, my youngest has brown and my daughter very blue ones.

Son in law and grand child are very bright blue.

A right old mixture !!!!! M

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 23 Apr 2013 10:30

i am from viking stock and i have blue eyes

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 23 Apr 2013 10:27

David Bowie did not originally have different coloured eyes, one changed colour after an accident at school. However, children can be born like this.

But I digress, if you go back far enough we are all related.

And I have green eyes, which in some lights will look blue.

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 23 Apr 2013 06:51

I posted on this thread earlier............

so where has my post gone?

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 23 Apr 2013 06:22

My son's father and I have brown eyes, altho one of his uncles on his father's side has blue eyes. My mother had blue eyes but my Dad, myself and my brothers had brown eyes. My son has blue eyes which are now more a grey blue as he gets older. His father is Maltese but son has inherited my pale skin altho he tans fairly easily as do I.

It's all so interesting.

Jules, what colour eyes does Harmony have?

Lizx

~~ Jules in Wiltshire~~

~~ Jules in Wiltshire~~ Report 22 Apr 2013 19:56

My paternal grandfather had blue, eyes, my dad has blue eyes, I have blue eyes and so does my daughter!! :-S

Jules x

Gins

Gins Report 22 Apr 2013 18:56

Maybe you'd like to read about Jane Elliott' theory on eye colour?

Rambling Rose

Rambling Rose Report 22 Apr 2013 18:48

I have grey eyes, but they turn green when I am not well .