General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Anyone watched 'The Politician's husband'?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rambling

Rambling Report 25 Apr 2013 22:09

Took me a while to work out who the actress playing DTs wife was, she was in 'Appropriate adult' in the Fred West drama...I didn't like her then either lol.

Mersey

Mersey Report 25 Apr 2013 22:16

Ive recorded it Rose....hope its worth it

Kense

Kense Report 26 Apr 2013 08:05

Emily Watson, wasn't she Hermione Grainger in Harry Potter? ;-)

ChAoTicintheNewYear

ChAoTicintheNewYear Report 26 Apr 2013 08:26

No that was Emma Watson.

For future reference Rose I don't know how you worked it out but IMDB is a good website to use. It gives you a list of the cast/characters..

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 26 Apr 2013 09:34

If this is the BBC response to Borgen then they need to find some new script writers. Boring, utterly predictable plot, wooden predictable acting. Possibly if you live anywhere Notting Hill, Islington or Richmond or even the M40 this may be interesting otherwise press delete.

If you want some British political drama then stay with "The Thick of It" or "Yes, Minister". . Yes, they are funny. Better than boring with glacial plot line.

IMHO the BBC simply does not make anywhere near enough quality programming to justify the license fee. I think they should move to a subscription model of some kind.

By "quality" I do not just mean quality drama for those of a certain age. Their only I.T. program ( "Click" ) is a right joke. There is deafening silence for current pop, rock and dance. There is nothing in any way comparable to ITV's "Clocking Off". Politics have degenerated into the John Humphreys style currently popular on Newsnight and the awful Question Time. Panorama is consistent in wearing its trousers inside out. They have at least carried out their threat to push out more repeats if the license fee was frozen.

If the Beeb must have repeats then they could repeat Alan Bleasdale's "Boys from the Black Stuff" and David Turner's "Roads to Freedom" both of which would be highly topical today. Which of course is why you don't get to see them. Indeed the latter is under lock and key at the National Film Institute!

:-P for the BBC

~Lynda~

~Lynda~ Report 26 Apr 2013 09:41

I thought it was a bit like Borgen to Rollo, but I don't think anything touches it, as that, that was exceptional. new series being filmed for the autum now :-D

But I quite enjoyed The Politician's husband, easy watching, and only on for two weeks I think

Rambling

Rambling Report 26 Apr 2013 09:45

I've not seen Borgen,

But I will agree that it would be good to see 'Boys from the black stuff' again, and 'GBH' come to that.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 26 Apr 2013 10:07

Second "GBH"

... but the BBC wants their charter extended and fee increased so they can pay their bills in Salford. To say the least of it Alan Bleasdale drama is not exactly complimentary to British politicians of any party so don't hold yr breath.

TPH has the feeling of a pilot - Spooks and TBFTBS both got started that way. I have seen quite enough, it was very boring.

Taken together with "The Village" (big disappointment) BBC drama is pretty dire. The best thing I have seen in the last year is the French TV police drama "En Grenages" (Spirals) which was in French with English sub titles.

Along with the Scandinavian series it did underline the pitiful quality of BBC TV drama though.

The English theatre is alive and well and thriving so it is hardly a problem of writers and actors. Just a bunch of overpaid BBC dunderheads who are failing to commission and produce quality drama.

There is a lot of excellent stuff on Radio4 Extra so why the TV people don't pick up on it I have no idea.