General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

The British Newspaper Archive

British Newspaper Archive

Read about historical events at the time they were happening. Perhaps you'll discover your ancestor in their local newspaper?

Start searching

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Super volcanoes...

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

GHeather

GHeather Report 27 Apr 2013 14:16

A massive super volcano in Iceland could go off anytime... a concern for the whole World! (Well perhaps not the Whole World) If this one goes off... will be much worse than the last one! Also other volcanoes around the World, inculding in Yellowstone Park. Fingers crossed they don't go off for a long time yet... but the one in Iceland is already rumbling! :-(

GHeather

GHeather Report 27 Apr 2013 14:19

I wonder how many volcanoes there are, and how many could cause massive problems around the World ??

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 27 Apr 2013 14:20

What is it called?

GHeather

GHeather Report 27 Apr 2013 14:25

I watched a programme on TV last night about the one in Iceland, but can't remember the name, perhaps someone else will know ErrolSheep, :-)

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 27 Apr 2013 14:30

Would be interesting to read about it.

GHeather

GHeather Report 27 Apr 2013 14:32

There is one massive volcano that would slide part of itself into the sea... if it went off, that would be very bad news for the whole World too! :-(

Kay????

Kay???? Report 27 Apr 2013 14:35

they have an election looming the polls opened this morning I belive.

Blimey Florence lives on Hebrides,,,,,,hope the ash dont fall on her washing if the winds blowing her way,

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 27 Apr 2013 14:39

Ash soiled bloomers?
Mind you don't all knickers look like that after a few washes?

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 27 Apr 2013 14:46

When volcanoes will erupt is very difficult to predict, I think it is called Mount Katla and they say if it ever does erupt it could be worse than the eruption from Mount Laki in 1798 :-(

Alan

Alan Report 27 Apr 2013 14:50

The name of the volcano is Katla.

Alan.

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 27 Apr 2013 14:51

Thank you OFITG and Alan - much appreciated

Rambling Rose

Rambling Rose Report 27 Apr 2013 15:10

If Yellowstone caldera went up it would be horrendous, it is in historical terms 'overdue' for an eruption.

"There have been no recent eruptions from caldera volcanoes- Valley of Ten Thousand Smokes was the last and before it there was Krakatoa (1886) and Tambora (1815)- which caused the year without a summer"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_Without_a_Summer

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 27 Apr 2013 15:30

We get years without a summer in the UK without any help from volcanoes :-D

Rambling Rose

Rambling Rose Report 27 Apr 2013 15:33

OFITG certainly looks like it today, just when I thought I could get out and garden big hailstones fell here :-(

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 27 Apr 2013 16:02

The programme last night was interesting.

One of the Icelandic volcanoes was responsible for 10s of thousands of deaths across Europe (1738?) due to burns and respiratory problems caused by acid rain or sulphuric fog. The eruption coincided with a high pressure system sweeping the fall out across Britain and mainland Europe.

GHeather

GHeather Report 27 Apr 2013 18:56

All don't sound too good! :-( But not much we can do about it, even the Americas can't save us this time... lol ;-) :-(

GHeather

GHeather Report 27 Apr 2013 18:57

Thanks very much for the name of the Icelandic V. :-D

GHeather

GHeather Report 27 Apr 2013 19:02

Let's just hope they keep rumbling for many years yet... but they do say, 'it's not a case of if, but will happen sooner or later... ' :-( Suppose they ALL went off at the same time... :-( :-( :-( Try not to have nightmares... lol

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 28 Apr 2013 00:45

Oh well, if we're going to get sulphuric rain - the garden (?) can look after itself (again :-D)

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 28 Apr 2013 03:09

My cousin's son has almost finished his Master's Degree in Vulcanology!

Must email her, ask where he is!!!!!!!