General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

New Scottish Census

New Scottish census records

Do you have Scottish ancestors?

Perhaps you do and you just didn't know! Search our brand new Scottish census records today and discover if you have Scottish roots.

Search Scottish Census

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Super volcanoes...

Page 1 + 1 of 3

1. «
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Huia

Huia Report 28 Apr 2013 03:12

When was that programme made? I googled Mt Katla Volcano and there were several things from 2010 suggesting the possibility that it would erupt soon.

Here in NZ we have several active volcanoes and quite a few dormant ones. Auckland is built on a large field of volcanoes. A new one 'could' erupt any time. Or Rangitoto Island out in the gulf could erupt again. It is not too far from Auckland and I think it was the last eruption in the area.

The Taupo Cauldera erupted violently about 25000 yrs ago (I think). There is still some activity there (hot water bubbling up in the lake, etc.). Then we have the 3 volcanoes just south of Taupo, which were apparently originally one big volcano. Ruapehu, Ngaruahoe and Tongariro are still active. So is White Island, off the coast. Rotorua is a thermal/volcanic area, Mt Tarawera having erupted in 1886.

Andrew

Andrew Report 28 Apr 2013 11:24

The trouble with these type of programmes is that they always take the the most extreme end of the world as we know it scenario. If one of the volcanoes does decide to erupt, it won't matter where it is as we can't do anything about it. Also 'overdue for an eruption' in volcano terms can be anything from ten to a hundred thousand years.

I put them in the same class as all the doomsayers predicting the end of the world in December 2012. And these programmes are still been shown!

Andy

GHeather

GHeather Report 28 Apr 2013 15:04

Andrew, you made some good points, however, I think if the V in Iceland or Yellowstone Park did erupt there is no doubt we would be in a serious situation.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 28 Apr 2013 16:30

Lol kay?? Yes the last time one erupted in iceland, i didnt put out my washing because there was an orangy cloud all the time hovering over us and some dust was found on cars etc.

But you did make me laugh. Once I put out the washing(I was newly wed) and came home to find it wasnt there!!! A gale had blown up and blown my washing up the croft and out of sight into the drain!!

I know better now after 20 years but still look down the village and if mil has hers out then I put out mine!

Hope this vulcano doesnt erupt because its not just washing etc but last time it affected our planes which are a lifeline.

Florence(with wings) in the hebrides. :-D :-D

GHeather

GHeather Report 28 Apr 2013 16:51

So, if the Icelandic Volcano did go off... how actually would it effect us ?

Florence61

Florence61 Report 28 Apr 2013 17:58

Well as i said the last time one erupted, the clouds of ash were blown our way and the planes couldnt fly. This was because the ash could get into the planes engines and shut them down causing as you can imagine disaster. So with the planes cancelled this affected all sorts of things for us. Hospital app in inverness and glasgow were cancelled, no post as it comes by air.

As for affecting us in other ways, you mentioned that a large piece of the volcano could fall into the sea. Now depending on how large, could this cause a tidal wave or something like that?

Thinking also, if the cloud of dust was bigger than before, it would be a health hazard to go outside and breathe it in. I am astmatic so definately wouldnt want it to upset that.
Anybody else have any ideas?

Sun is now out here but still very windy.

Florence in the hebrides

GHeather

GHeather Report 28 Apr 2013 18:24

Florence, Yes, it would cause a massive tidal wave!!!

GHeather

GHeather Report 28 Apr 2013 18:26

I think the government should made us more aware of this massive V problem that could happen anytime... perhaps they don't want to panic us! Also, people would probably panic buy food items.

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 28 Apr 2013 20:45

GHeather - just what could the government do.

Answer NOTHING

We are all going to die some day. So worrying about this is pretty pointless... :-D

Huia

Huia Report 28 Apr 2013 21:43

I am certainly not worrying about the possibility of a volcano erupting in Auckland or anywhere else around me, or about the possibility of a bit earthquake (I have felt some small ones in our area), or any other such things. Life is too short to worry about might-happens. I could be hit by a car as a woman was the other day when jogging. The car pinned her to a house. She died, the kitchen of the house was wrecked. It could happen to you. :-|

GHeather

GHeather Report 28 Apr 2013 23:55

DC,
Thanks for your reply, you made some good points, I'm not worrying, just a bit concerned, and fingers crossed they don't go off for a long time yet!!! :-D ;-) <3

GHeather

GHeather Report 29 Apr 2013 00:06

Huia, thanks for the postings. You made some good points. :-)

GHeather

GHeather Report 7 Jul 2013 12:22

I'ved ordered a book on this subject called: 'Earth on Fire', look forward to looking at the wonderful photos of volcanos around the World, and gaining more info about them... :-D

GHeather

GHeather Report 8 Jul 2013 13:45

That book: 'Earth on Fire' came today... WOW!!! What a massive book! Wasn't expecting it to be that BIG! Fantastic photographs of volcanos around the World! Postscript may still have a few left... it's by Bernhard Edmaier. Well worth a buy, however, need to find a place for it... IT'S MASSIVE!!! :-D ;-)

Huia

Huia Report 9 Jul 2013 06:44

That sounds a really great (in more ways than one) book, GH. Unfortunately I have more than enough books here. I wonder if it is available in our library?

I have a lot of photos that OH and I took when we flew around Mt Ruapehu when it was erupting about 17 or 18 years ago. That was a wonderful experience.

Persephone

Persephone Report 9 Jul 2013 08:26

GHeather,

Our White Island is permanently active some days more than other.. tours go out to the island, knowing Huia she has probably been and had a look... she gets around.

My SIL recently attained his PHD in Geology and we all trekked off to Christchurch the city of which is not like I last saw it before the earthquake, to his graduation ceremony.

His Masters Thesis was; The Interrelationships Between Faulting and Volcanism in the Okataina Volcanic Centre: New Zealand.

Persie

GHeather

GHeather Report 9 Jul 2013 09:51

Thanks very much for the info: Huia and Persephone. :-D

Huia

Huia Report 9 Jul 2013 22:03

Persie, I did intend to go to White Island a few years ago, but could never fit it into my busy life. Now I am not so sure I would be able to go as I am a bit unsteady on my feet at times, and would probably hold up the rest of the group too much. :-(
Phil and I did a flight over it some years back.

Nolls from Harrogate

Nolls from Harrogate Report 9 Jul 2013 23:16

Methinks we are all sitting on a hot potato ;-)

Persephone

Persephone Report 9 Jul 2013 23:18

Glad you didn't decide to parachute in from your flight over it.. could have ended up in the hot seat.

It fascinates me the way it is always smoldering and then every so often has a bit of a blow, but am quite happy to drive along the coast and just look at it sitting out to sea.

I used to stay in Whakatane quite a bit when I was a youngster and we often had earthquakes during the night. Probably a lot more going on under there than we realise.

We live in an interesting country with all its fault lines and mostly dormant volcanic mountains. In 2011 they found four new volcanic craters in Auckland bringing our total to 55. I can walk to four of them from my place (not the 4 recent ones) on a round trip out.

Persie