General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Electoral Rolls

Looking for living relatives?

Search our UK Electoral Rolls (2002-2013) and find your living relatives today.

Search Electoral Rolls

New electoral roll records

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Cold-Calling Election Candidates.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Dermot

Dermot Report 30 Apr 2013 08:45

I'm always tongue-tied when these individuals appear at my front door although I can muster up loads of relevant questions after they depart.

So, I'm trying to have a list of items ready before Thursday's debacle. Your help would be appreciated.

*There are more abortion clinics in the UK than orphanages. Does that snippet of information sum up the current situation?

♥†۩ Carol   Paine ۩†♥

♥†۩ Carol Paine ۩†♥ Report 30 Apr 2013 09:26

Try "What will you do for me?"

NO child should have to live in a Children's Home or orphanage. Their best chance for a "normal" childhood lies in adoption or good long term fostering, in a loving home. So the need for Children's Homes is reduced when this is happening.

I am NOT getting involved in the rights or wrongs of abortion, as there are many reasons why this is requested.

Muffyxx

Muffyxx Report 30 Apr 2013 09:36

Good. I'm glad there are.......as long as they're clean and properly run....personally, I applaud the fact that women are given every opportunity to exercise their right to choose...

Kay????

Kay???? Report 30 Apr 2013 09:51

Its what they will do for you and your community at local level,,,,,,your local taxes arent spent nationwide.....voice what you would like to see happen in your street.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 30 Apr 2013 19:01

sorry, can't help you with a question

We are midway through a Provincial election here, voting is on May 14

I just say "I do not discuss politics, religion, race, or real estate at the door [or on the phone]"

They just go their own sweet way anyway! They'll say anything to get you to vote for them during the campaign process ................ I want to judge them on past action.

I did have one young women phone me last November during the city election ............ and her response to the above comment was the rather uppity comment ............

"Well, that tells me who you ARE voting for!"

Me:- "No, it does NOT. It just tells you that I will not tell you or anyone else who I am voting for"

she hung up huffing and puffing!

BarneyKent

BarneyKent Report 30 Apr 2013 19:18

I have a stock reply.

"How come I haven't seen you for two years and now that you want re-electing you turn up on my doorstep?"

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 30 Apr 2013 20:56

I ask them what they're going to do about the lack of buses around here!!

Having said that, only one party has bothered 'door knocking' - and they were the only ones to acknowledge in their plans that the bus service was dire.

Had a phone call from another's representative tonight.
I told her I wouldn't be voting for her candidate, as they couldn't be bothered coming around face to face. Obviously didn't think we were worth the effort. :-|

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 30 Apr 2013 21:08

not expecting any callers - cold or otherwise - we have no elections here at the mo :-D

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 30 Apr 2013 21:09

Maggie I had a call last week - asked if I had received my postal vote and then asked if I would reveal who I was voting for.

Politely I told him that that was between and the ballot box.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 30 Apr 2013 21:19

what annoys me about elections is that who you vote for is not really private - they put a number on your ballot paper which they take off the register, so if anyone wanted to find out who you voted for - they could

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 30 Apr 2013 21:45

That is disgusting Ann

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 30 Apr 2013 22:30

haven't you noticed? I have queried it with the polling staff people on many occasions but they have no answers - try it

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 1 May 2013 00:50

I'm not afraid of anyone knowing who I vote for - but agree, if 'they' say it's private it should be. However, experience has taught most of us that, the government (any government) says one thing to appease the plebs, but does another.
Rather like the 'confidential' surveys sent by local councils.
Why is there a number on the address label that corresponds with a number on the survey?
And to cap it all, why did they send me a postcard informing me I hadn't sent said 'confidential' survey back? :-|

Mayfield

Mayfield Report 1 May 2013 08:37

Don't worry you are not being watched by big brother, oh! and by the way your house plants need watering, there's an odd sock under the bed and that cup of tea is getting cold :-D

Mayfield ;-)

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 1 May 2013 09:22

We have County Council elections. and I can't remember the last time we were canvassed - possibly during the 1997 General Election where a door knocker said that the Sitting Tory MP was waiting at the end of the road to answer any questions.

We are in a Tory stronghold - probably no one else normally bothers to try and change the norm. We are lucky if we get leaflets through the door from other Parties, let alone a candidate on the door step!

If approached by the current majority Conservative rep, I'd possibly ask if they still think it a good idea to have outsourced the pay-rolll. There have been several cases in the media where employees have been accidentally overpaid, or in one case a person with the same name being paid the expenses owed to the Council Leader.

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 1 May 2013 10:31

A few years ago I had Len Duvall doorstepping in our area. He knocked on my door (he had 3 lackeys with him). I said I will not be voting for you as I had emailed him about 18months previously about a problem in our area and was still awaiting a reply.

Words were said by both him and myself. I think I got the better of him because as he was walking away, the lackeys were all smiling at me!!!!

He was truly obnoxious. :-)