General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Genes Extras

Genes Reunited subscription bonuses

As a way of saying thank you to our subscribers, we have launched Genes Extras. You'll find exclusive competitions and discounts on family history magazines, days out and much more.

Take me to Genes Extras

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Mystery from the past...

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

GHeather

GHeather Report 30 Apr 2013 19:17

What mystery do you find most interesting from the past... ?

GHeather

GHeather Report 30 Apr 2013 19:38

There was a very interesting one about a ship that was found with no one on board, what happened to the crew, no one is sure ? Strange but true.

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 30 Apr 2013 20:15

Marie Celeste, I think.

What about Prince Madoc, who sailed from the mouth of teh River Conwy in N Wales and discovered America a few hundred years before Columbus. They found a red-headed tribe of native Americans who counted in a very similar fashion to Welsh :-S :-S

Annx

Annx Report 30 Apr 2013 20:36

What....on their fingers John?? Sorry, naughty of me but I couldn't resist!! :-) I do have a bit of Welsh ancestry from my grandfather.

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 30 Apr 2013 20:50

Did Amy Dudley nee Robsart fall, or was she pushed?
'
What did happen to the two 'Princes in the Tower', and on whose orders?

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 30 Apr 2013 20:52

What happened to the Roanoke colony?

GeordiePride

GeordiePride Report 30 Apr 2013 20:55

Jack the Ripper

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 30 Apr 2013 20:56

which of the two ducan brothers is my mums dad
was it john or joseph ;-)

my grans didnt help by calling her son john joseph :-(

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 30 Apr 2013 21:20

how did my Great Grandparents, Daniel Breakspear and Louisa Simpson get from Berkshire to Bridgend in South Wales? Did they walk?

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 30 Apr 2013 21:21

Would dearly love to know how did OH's g.father be found not guilty of bigamy in 1918?

OK his legal wife who he had abandoned circa 1895 had died in 1908, his second wife he married in 1901 - abandoned in 1904, he married again in 1912 and abandoned her, she died in 1954.

Married again in Sept 1917 - his bride was 20 years younger and she had him in court in April 1918.

His last marriage was in 1931! Cousin is trying to get details of the trial. We can only think he produced a death certificate for wife No.1!!!!

He has given us the runaround for many years. Though give him credit - he married all of them in church!! :-0

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 30 Apr 2013 23:34

Did man really land on the moon or is it another conspiracy theory?

What do you mean ChrisofWessex?
He gave "you" the runaround!
What about all those poor women?
Seriously though, the trial docs would make brillant reading.
You won't forget to tell us all about it, Will you? :-S :-S

GHeather

GHeather Report 30 Apr 2013 23:58

Very interesting replies once again, like! :-)

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 1 May 2013 00:54

Chris :-D :-D

I just want to know who my dad's dad was!!!! :-D
He was probably Cornish.

Gran never married anyone until dad as 16 - and he wasn't dad's dad :-)

♥†۩ Carol   Paine ۩†♥

♥†۩ Carol Paine ۩†♥ Report 1 May 2013 08:57

My Great Aunt Doris was, according to the 1911 census born 1906 in London, United Kingdom, we know she celebrated her birthday on 28 Oct.
She was not really our Aunt, but our Father’s cousin, his Mothers sister’s child. Her Mother Lottie Wenham was single in 1901 census, but by 1911 was a widow by the name of Gwen Wheeler, living in lodgings with her young daughter.
Family knowledge is that the father of my father’s cousin was an American Senator, who went by the name Wheeler when over here incognito. Doris was privately educated & her mother got a large allowance each month from the father. I have photos of Doris as a young lady dressed in her finery when attending Grand Balls. I can find no birth for her; I have tried under both Wheeler & Wenham, in London & in Kent.
We were told that the Senator was married & had children & that later the wife & family knew of Doris’s existence. I do know the name of the supposed Senator but will not put on here as there is no proof.

I would love to know the whole story.

GHeather

GHeather Report 1 May 2013 15:09

Thanks for the interesting info Carol P. :-)

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 1 May 2013 15:29

anyone have any theories on how my G.Grandparents got from Berkshire to Bridgend in South Wales in the 1800's - they were poor ag labs

Annx

Annx Report 2 May 2013 00:37

A lot of canals were built by then Ann so they might have gone on barges. There were public stagecoaches, but they might have been too pricey. I would imagine they could have walked, people did walk long distances years ago and hitched rides on passing carts.Wouldn't it be nice to step back in time and see.

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 2 May 2013 07:13

Where did my 3xgreat-uncle Thomas go??

He was married to Elizabeth in 1844, she died in 1877) they had four children between 1844 & 1868.

He married Agnes in 1858, they had eight children between 1858 & 1868.

Obviously he was a bigamist.

But he was never caught! Agnes married again in 1872, as she believed Thomas had died.

Agnes was charged with bigamy and spent time in jail!

Thomas turned up eventually, he died in 1879, his death entry has the names of his parents, but not of his wives.

wisechild

wisechild Report 2 May 2013 07:54

Will probably never know, but would love to get to the bottom of who my mother´s real parents were.
It´s generally accepted that they were the couple I knew as my grandparents, but for various reasons, I´m pretty sure they weren´t

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 2 May 2013 09:17

I have seen one of two people who may have descended from Edward VII and the Watkin-Williams-Wynne family in N Wales.

Both families had very distinctive features and were very wealthy and enjoyed the comfort of women of all stations in life. They also had the ability to cover up their mistakes extremely well and their "children" always appear to have had some help.

Also, in a village where I used to live in Northamptonshire (pop 500), the local Squire (surname Bartholomew) was reputed to be the father of several quite ordinary villagers. Stated in village history written by a local farmer who was born about 1900 and only died about 15 years ago. Makes "biological" trees very precarious - so I decided early on that it was better to list the legal father and make notes rather than chase the biological parents.