General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

The British Newspaper Archive

British Newspaper Archive

Read about historical events at the time they were happening. Perhaps you'll discover your ancestor in their local newspaper?

Start searching

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

The first people with your surname...

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

GHeather

GHeather Report 4 May 2013 10:59

Do you know where your surname came from ? Where the first group of people used to live, the location, villiage or town ? I think my Heather surname started from a small group of people in Sussex; there is also a Heather villiage up North somewhere... Also, a lot of people have Anglo-Saxon, Viking, and Norman surnames in their family tree, I do too.

martynsue

martynsue Report 4 May 2013 11:05

i have heard lot's of thing's about my surname,
at the moment i have got back to thetford in norfolk 1600s.

it has been said it is from denmark or rotherham make your own mind up as i give up,
my surname is Rudrum.
in the 1600s it is written as rudderham.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 4 May 2013 11:28

One the main names in my tree (until the last male birth in 1905) is Saltmarsh.

I can trace the family back until a birth c1775 in the City of London, but after that there are 2 divergent possibilities, one being in Essex.

According to various articles, all Saltmarsh(e) originated in Yorkshire. One person in the Middle Ages married in to a Royal Line, and another was the Chaplain to Oliver Cromwell who retired to East Anglia.

Such a pity that the 'dots don't join up' :-0

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 4 May 2013 11:40

My (born 1777 in East Lothian) 4xgreat-grandfather's surname was changed by his son (my 3xgreat-grandfather)

Added Mc to the beginning (son of).

3xgreat-grandfather's siblings used the original surname, but their children used the Mc version.

GHeather

GHeather Report 4 May 2013 11:48

Thanks for the info, brill, anymore... ?

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 4 May 2013 11:54

My surname ( married) is one of the oldest surnames in Scotland.

It doesn't really matter now.
It's fairly common name but, OH is the last and only male with his surname in 5 generations .
All our children are girls!

If there are male rellies out there who share the surname, then they would need to descend from his gggg grandfather or an earlier generation :-( :-(

EDIT: My maiden name can also be traced back to ancient Ireland. As my GF was adopted and acquired the name, I am not even a descendant :-S :-S

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 4 May 2013 12:09

Funny, this came up at work yesterday :-D

One of the managers mentioned her maiden name - One you don't hear a lot these days -
'Definitely Hampshire' I said - 'Yes, Woolston was her reply!'

Then I told her about the Hannah Scraggleford in my tree - not my surname, but it can definitely be pinpointed!!
She'd never heard of that surname. 'Where from?' she asked.
'North Baddesley' I said - 'I can't find them anywhere else!!'

Woolston was a small hamlet, and is now a suburb of Southampton. North Baddesley is a large village near Romsey that had quite a few agricultural industries in the past. It even has a Scrag Hill!

As far as I can find out, Hannah Scraggleford was the only surviving child, and went on to marry a Romsey man, Thomas Floyd, in 1751 and the name appears to have died out.

Just did a search for Scraggleford genealogy, Ancestry came up with 29 in the UK.
14 were William, Hannah's father, 15 were Hannah!!

Edit: My avatar is Hannah's grandson :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 4 May 2013 12:15

My maiden name, was actually my dad's stepdad's name. It's unusual, and though dad's stepdad was born in Portsmouth, his line can be traced to Stalbridge in Dorset.

Kay????

Kay???? Report 4 May 2013 12:58

Yes,

Italy and Spain.

other line Icelandic.

Carol 430181

Carol 430181 Report 4 May 2013 13:01

First mention of my surname was 1210 in Cornwall, which is where all my ancestors hail from..

Carol

GHeather

GHeather Report 4 May 2013 14:22

All interesting, thanks. :-)

Barbinsglos

Barbinsglos Report 4 May 2013 16:32

"Rumour " has it from The University Of Toronto that my family members, The Pinker,s was taken from the name Pincerna.
Taken from The Doomsday Book material shows there was an Alfred Pincerna who was the fuedal butler and brother in law of William 1, the Conqueror. Alfred arrived in Britain in 1066. They held lands in Somerset.

Another theory is that Pinker was derived from that of the Pinker trade, a leather worker or someone who scalloped out patterns on leather.. Checking on records through the 18th and 19th centuries, it is thought there were too few Pinkers for their names to be taken from their trade.

Anyway brother in law to William The Conqueror sounds much more impressive
:-D :-D

GinN

GinN Report 4 May 2013 16:38

My Dad's family name came from a long line of herdsmen in Northumberland, and is an occupational name. the first instance in our family was in 1540's

~~ Jules in Wiltshire~~

~~ Jules in Wiltshire~~ Report 4 May 2013 16:58

My maiden name means ' dwellers by the egde of the wood, by the owl or magpie'
Most of the men with the name were born in West Sussex and were ag labs...

GHeather I also have Heather surname in my tree and they came from West Sussex...

Jules x

GHeather

GHeather Report 4 May 2013 17:45

Thanks Jules, I also have a link with Wiltshire with my Sprules family. :-)

GHeather

GHeather Report 5 Nov 2013 23:23

Jules, interesting about your Heather surname link from West Sussex, probably a link there with my Heather line... :-D

Staffs Col

Staffs Col Report 6 Nov 2013 06:16

Mine dates back to Celtic Britain and more recently has been most common in East Anglia and that's where I've traced my family back to in the 1700's. The first recorded mention of my modern version of my surname was in the 12th Century. I seem to recall one of the first mentions in records was someone with my surname who was hung for sheep stealing :-(

GHeather

GHeather Report 6 Nov 2013 10:44

Thanks for the added info Staffs Col. :-)

David

David Report 6 Nov 2013 14:18

My surname, IRVINE is common in Scotland and Northern Ireland.

It is the county town of Lanarkshire.

Beyond that all I know is it was my Father's Grand Father's names.