General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

I.G.I. index

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Caldervale

Caldervale Report 4 May 2013 15:31

I moved into the present English County, Derbyshire to Sawley, in 1976 which has a Parish Church of great antiquity commencing circa 650 A.D. The I.G.I. have record of a marriage taking place there in 1750 of Thomas Towell which at the moment of finding it induced that euphoric state of mind a.k.a, "serendipity".
It would indeed "fit the bill", with Family History. The Church Records had been sent to the County Offices in Matlock, Derbyshire. No such record is entered in the Sawley Parish Church Registers for that period. I trawled through the register but no joy - no Thomas anywhere. Lesson - do not accept the I.G.I. as gospel.
When I.G.I notified all I received in reply was a reference to another name for another Parish. He was definitely born in Lincolnshire but he is still the mystic figure
despite much legwork and concentrated searching

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 4 May 2013 15:43

Mistranscribed? There is a baptism of a Thomas Towell 1750 Sawley.

We've always said to be aware of user submitted pedigree/records - could you have picked up on one of those?

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 4 May 2013 16:26

IGI turned my 3 x great grandfather into a girl named Susanna.

When I purchased microfiche copies of the original parish index, I saw the transcriber for the IGI record had mixed up the baptism record of a girl named Susanna belonging to another family, with that of my 3 x GGF.

I still see family trees that record Susanna as part of my family, either going by the IGI or by copying from a tree that did so.