General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Gift subscriptions

Genes Reunited gift subscription

Do you know someone interested in discovering their family history?

You can now buy a gift subscription to Genes Reunited so they can research their family tree.

Buy gift or redeem gift

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

For your eyes only!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

GHeather

GHeather Report 4 May 2013 17:40

Have you noticed that a lot of our historical people from the past... had hooded eyelids. For example: Queen Elizabeth I, Sir Francis Walsingham, Henry VII, so many more... A lot of people in the Middle East have hooded eyelids. Perhaps they had some link way back in the past... with this part of the World. Would be very interesting if we could check their DNA, but not so easy now! Any thoughts/views on this ?

Cooper

Cooper Report 4 May 2013 17:47

I have wondered about that. We belong to the NT and English Heritage and all the paintings in their Houses and castles of that era have the same looking eyes. It may have been the fashion or style of painting.

Many rich and powerful Families intermarried so it may be an inherited gene as well.

Teresa

GHeather

GHeather Report 4 May 2013 17:50

Yes, interesting isn't it Cooper. I have the surname Hooper in my family tree, so very near to Cooper. :-)

Cooper

Cooper Report 4 May 2013 17:54

Ah I think the Coopers are a popular lot, services to the alcohol industry and all that ;-) I became a Cooper when I got married

Teresa :-)

Island

Island Report 4 May 2013 17:56

Interesting. A branch of my family have distinctive hooded eyelids.

GHeather

GHeather Report 4 May 2013 17:59

Thanks for the info Island. :-)

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 4 May 2013 18:19

A branch of my family has a fur coat and large ears :-)

Susan10146857

Susan10146857 Report 5 May 2013 23:42

I watched an art programme years ago and they said it was something to do with the way artists used the same way of painting them.....ie The Mona Lisa has the same eyes as many kings etc.

GHeather

GHeather Report 6 May 2013 00:10

Thanks for the info Susan, strange that, I was going to mention the Mona Lisa.

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 6 May 2013 00:19

I always thought my great-grandfather looked half asleep in photographs.

Now I know better!

The dreaded hooded eyes.

My cousin and I had them. Had, not have!

Ours got so "hooded" they were annoying! In both our cases, the doctors said if we left them any longer they would interfere with our vision. :-( Mine were hanging over my eyelashes.

We got eye jobs. Not cosmetic! I had both done at the same time (looked like I'd been in a brawl!); cousin wasn't as brave.... HE had one done at a time!!

:-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 6 May 2013 01:29

So the 'elite' had the same eyes as you, Scozz - or was it the other way around!! :-D

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 6 May 2013 02:41

lol

I have traced my family tree back to James 1 of Scotland

No idea if he had the droopy eyes.

:-D

No biggie, I think half of Scotland is descended from the Stewarts!