General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Rogation Sunday, 5 May

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Elizabethofseasons

Elizabethofseasons Report 4 May 2013 23:44

Dear All

Hello

Sunday 05th May is rogation day.

Although not as widely celebrated today, it was the custom to "beat the bounds"
of a church parish while blessing the trees, crops and fields.

The word rogation is derived from the latin "rogare" meaning to ask for a blessing for food and other material things to see people through until the harvest.

If a service is held now or a celebation of some kind, the central theme is caring for and appreciating the enviornment.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"THE ENVIRONMENT"

Thank you Lord, for the beauty of the trees,
for wild flowers,
and the flowers we grow in our gardens

for the mountains and the valleys,
rivers and lakes,
the sea and the seashore.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"ENJOY THE WORLD"

"Enjoy the world with your feet;
walk it.

Enjoy the world with your hands;
touch it.

Enjoy the world with your eyes;
admire it.

Enjoy the world with your nose;
smell it.

Enjoy the world with your ears;
listen to its music.

Enjoy the world;
live in it".

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"THE BREAD IS WARM AND FRESH"

The bread is warm and fresh,
The water cool and clear.

Lord of all life, be with us,
Lord of all life, be bear.

- African Grace

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you are going to a special service, travel safely.

Take gentle care
Best wishes
EOS
xx

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 5 May 2013 17:53

Thankyou very much, Elizabeth. Lovely thoughts.:-) :-)

In the African grace, should it be "near" rather than "bear". :-S

Jane

Jane Report 5 May 2013 18:15

Elizabeth ,this has brought back memories for me .My Dad did the Beating the Bounds.He did it every year for many years in our village.I have a very emotional video with him in doing this whilst suffering from Motor Neurone Disease.It was his last one.Many people from the village took part .It started at the Church and ended at the Church.Some of the walk was wonderful as it took in the cliff path along the coast line.This was in Wembury South Devon.
Thanks for this Elizabeth.I have never ever heard of anyone knowing about Beating the Bounds.

Elizabethofseasons

Elizabethofseasons Report 5 May 2013 23:43

Dear Jane

Hello

Thank you very much for replying.

I am glad this bought back good memories. <3

Dear John............yes, it should be "near" rather than "bear" but I like bear too!

Take gentle care
Best wishes
EOS
xx

Joy

Joy Report 6 May 2013 15:28

:-)

We have done Beating the Bounds. :)

Elizabethofseasons

Elizabethofseasons Report 7 May 2013 00:10

Dear Joy

Hello

Thank you for adding. :-)

Hope you all had a peaceful bank holiday and safe journeys.

Take gentle care all <3
Best wishes
EOS
xx

CupCakes

CupCakes Report 7 May 2013 05:35

Interesting but have to admit I haven't a clue about Rogation day.
Never heard of it before

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 7 May 2013 08:48

I can remember coming out of church during the service and standing with the congregation at the 'centre' of the village where I used to live.

We didn't actually walk around the parish boundary as it would have been too far, but the Vicar said prayers for the crops and blessed the village.

I suppose it would be impractical to revive the tradition in many areas, as many parish boundaries will have been built on.

I do know that some parish boundaries actually run down the centre of a road or through a house, which used to make things legally difficult when we had the original banns system from the church.

Some churches actually pray for different streets in their parish in weekly rotation which is a nice thought.

Thank you Elizabeth. <3