General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

New Scottish Census

New Scottish census records

Do you have Scottish ancestors?

Perhaps you do and you just didn't know! Search our brand new Scottish census records today and discover if you have Scottish roots.

Search Scottish Census

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Collectables...

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

GHeather

GHeather Report 6 May 2013 17:26

What things do you like to collect ? Stamps, ceramics, teapots, paperweights, maybe, or perhaps you collect something unusual ?

GHeather

GHeather Report 6 May 2013 17:28

All those things from the past... comics, toy cars, etc... I bet a lot of older people wished they kept and collected more at the time!

VIVinHERTS

VIVinHERTS Report 6 May 2013 17:36

I used to collect little boxes and tins - the smaller the better.

GHeather

GHeather Report 6 May 2013 17:39

Why little boxes and tins may I ask ?

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 6 May 2013 17:41

cats

Budgie Rustler

Budgie Rustler Report 6 May 2013 17:54

I collect £5 notes and loose change.I never spend any I get , when I have about 4 to 5 hundred pounds Its put in a small separate bank account I have.

You`d be surprised how it helps to pay direct debits and stuff purchased via the internet ie certificates etc. I never have more than £ 500 in this account. when it runs low I just top it up out of my collection.

So if you have any loose change or fiver's you want to get rid, I`m yer man. :-D
I don't even charge for taking them off your hands.:-D

btw I do have British Stamps and English Coins collections, but they have been in limbo for a few years now, It became too expensive when retirement arrived. :-(

GHeather

GHeather Report 6 May 2013 18:44

It's great when you hear someone bought an item at a car boot sale for about 80p, and turns out to be worth a lot more...!!! :-) However, would be better if you bought it! lol

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 6 May 2013 19:09

From a recent clear out in the garage, it would appear that OH collects plugs 'rescued' from old appliances.

He has now moved on to binoculars.....as long as they are free. (a running family joke ;-) )

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 6 May 2013 19:28

I appear to have 'acquired' 4 dolls houses, plus exrea 'stuff' for them.
Occasionally 'pick up' stone eggs from charity shops.
I also have a small collection of tin toys that is rarely added to.

...and a few bookcases of old books that I no longer add to...

I actually collect, it's been mentioned on here recently, naff religious icons, and, possibly mentioned a while ago, grotesques.
Haven't bought any grotesques for a while, but doing a quick tot up in my head (some are outside), I have at least 15.
Bought a wonderfully naff Madonna of Rocio whilst in Seville in February. This one's a bit more classy than mine. Mine's about 4" high, no pedestal and cost 5 euros.

http://porcelainspacheco.com/1005951.html

I love the way it looks like the Madonna is standing on - and squashing an angel :-D

Sharron

Sharron Report 6 May 2013 19:56

I don't collect and don't really understand it but I think Fred used to collect starter motors.

Yes,one or two were mine but there were fifteen old starter motors in the shed when we cleared it out.

StrayKitten

StrayKitten Report 6 May 2013 20:10

used to collect frogs, but now im minimulistic, no place fr collecting things, except littlemans toys lol

GinN

GinN Report 6 May 2013 20:26

I collect crystals and gemstones. Once I collected them for New Age interests, but now just for their beauty, colours and variety.

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 6 May 2013 21:38

I collect porcelain thimbles from everywhere we visit. I have loads from all over the country now and they bring back a lot of happy holiday memories.

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 6 May 2013 22:57

Tea towels, old tins and cob webs, got lots of cob webs I have ;-)

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 6 May 2013 23:17

ZZzzz
I could add to your collection of cobwebs.
I noticed a lovely long swinging one today swaying gently in a light breeze.

Gwyn

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 6 May 2013 23:28

I collect owls, thimbles & clowns. I like owls, but have no idea why I collect clowns (hated them when I went to the circus as a child), as for thimbles ~ I hate embroidery!

I also collect masses of documents about lang deid yins.

OH collects beer steins & golf balls.

:-D

GHeather

GHeather Report 6 May 2013 23:34

Some of them glass paperweights with unsual designs/patterns would make great collectables, easy to keep too, they are not very big! :-)

GHeather

GHeather Report 6 May 2013 23:38

I suppose you can collect anything really, some do it as an investment for the future... but shame you have to sell the items you probably think a lot of!. Perhaps good idea to buy two of each item, but not always that easy! (Regarding things like toy cars, comics.)

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 6 May 2013 23:39

I personally rarely collect cobwebs, they just appear, like the dust that collects itself on my venetian blinds :-(

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 6 May 2013 23:40

Do make sure that items such as glass paperweights are not displayed in such a away that the sun's effect is magnified through it to cause a fire.

Away from widow sills would be best.......

Gwyn