General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Genes Extras

Genes Reunited subscription bonuses

As a way of saying thank you to our subscribers, we have launched Genes Extras. You'll find exclusive competitions and discounts on family history magazines, days out and much more.

Take me to Genes Extras

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Jigsaw puzzles... ?

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

GHeather

GHeather Report 14 May 2013 19:28

What do you think about Jigsaw puzzles ? Do you enjoy doing them, or perhaps you regard them a waste of time ? If you do them, what theme do you like to do ? You can get some that you can frame, and put on the wall, interesting! I think there was a man who took years... to do a 7,000 p jigsaw puzzle, but the last piece was missing! The firm no longer did the puzzle, but had one made for him, nice of them! I also read the Queen likes doing them. An interesting book: 'British Jigsaw Puzzles of the 20th Century,' by Tom Tyler. You probably know the first ones were made of wood. The new idea is for 3-D puzzles, which are very interesting!

GHeather

GHeather Report 14 May 2013 19:33

There are a few amazing ones to do: R.M.S. Titanic, Tutankhamun, Sailing ships, etc... some are so good, really worth hanging on the wall in a frame.

GHeather

GHeather Report 14 May 2013 19:40

If the Summer does turn out to be a washout, I think there will be a lot of Jigsawing going on...

Kim Annette

Kim Annette Report 14 May 2013 19:57

did them when i lived at home in sydney as i had the room.... now living in london bit tricky...
have never hung any just redid them..... and GH you are right... might have to go and buy several for this summer....
only ever did photos of real stuff never paintings of things....

Phyll

Phyll Report 14 May 2013 20:02

I bought 4 x 1,000 pieces just last week. Forgot I had three more hidden away in a cupboard so yes I will be busy if the summer is rotten.

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 14 May 2013 20:02

My sister does wasgij, they are very difficult for me to explain, usually takes 3or4 of us a weekend to finish one.

GoldenGirl1

GoldenGirl1 Report 14 May 2013 20:03

Thomas Kincade the painter of light as he was known,
best jig saws ever.

Emma :-)

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 14 May 2013 20:06

I only have a small flat so no room for the real thing, I just do the daily online ones instead.

My times are gradually improving!

http://www.jspuzzles.com/

http://thejigsawpuzzles.com/

http://www.jigzone.com/

Kay????

Kay???? Report 14 May 2013 20:25

Yes I do ones with steam trains on for SIL for his den after they have been framed ,,,,,,yes he plays with trains, :-D,

Ive enjoyed doing the Ravensburger 3D ones Ive done 4 ,,,,the globe is interesting to put together but very easy.

GHeather

GHeather Report 14 May 2013 20:50

Kay, ' Ravensburger ' does some great ones! Doing a 1000 pieces does take quite a while... 500 is better for most! :-)

Phyll

Phyll Report 14 May 2013 20:55

I also love doing wasgij - some are really difficult but I hate ones like thousands of dice or baked beans.
I like cottage garden scenes, old fashioned scenes with maybe buses, boats on a cananl etc.

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 14 May 2013 20:56

We are a jigsaw family and love Ravensburger 1000 pc puzzles, especially the Disney ones!
Wasijigs come next.

GHeather

GHeather Report 14 May 2013 21:02

I have done a few in the past... and some not that long ago... but can't be bothered with them at the moment... but do have a couple of Ravensburgers that I hope to give a go, especially if we have a 'washout' summer! Also one by 'JUMBO', a 1000 piece puzzle called: 'Motorbike Race', very funny picture, brill! :-D

Jean

Jean Report 15 May 2013 00:21

I love doing jigsaw puzzles. Have done many over the long winter. The way things are looking will be doing more if we have a summer like last year. At the moment I am doing "The Fawn" from the gold collection. Also have a round jigsaw to do, not done one of those before. :-D

GHeather

GHeather Report 15 May 2013 00:37

Sounds good Jean. :-D

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 15 May 2013 01:47

I collect jigsaws and my attention was somewhat aroused when I saw this thread because I have such a passion for them.

Unfortunately my hopes and excitement have been dashed.

I collect electric ones.

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 15 May 2013 04:01

I do the onlines ones now.

I think there are maybe 10 boxed ones in a cupboard somewhere......... I also have a jigsaw mat, just roll it up and put it away when you need the table.

:-D

lol @ Errol......

OH has two electric ones, you can have them if you like. They've been for a swim.

GHeather

GHeather Report 15 May 2013 13:05

Yes, you need a jigsaw mat. I read above about 'round' Jigsaw puzzles, I think they would be interesting to do.

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 15 May 2013 13:12

Like Kucinta.........I do online jigsaw puzzles..........

At least you can't lose any pieces!!

:-D

BarneyKent

BarneyKent Report 15 May 2013 13:56

B O R I N G

But each to their own.