General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Genes Extras

Genes Reunited subscription bonuses

As a way of saying thank you to our subscribers, we have launched Genes Extras. You'll find exclusive competitions and discounts on family history magazines, days out and much more.

Take me to Genes Extras

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Garden programmes on TV...

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

GHeather

GHeather Report 19 May 2013 14:27

Are you interested in gardening ? What do you think of gardening programmes on TV ? Should they go back to the old style of garden programmes, or are you happy with the way things are ? What about the garden presenters, happy with them ? There is an article in one of these family tree magazines about garden history etc... which is out now. Please share any thoughts/views you have, thanks.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 19 May 2013 14:41

We like Monty Don. Were very concerned when he had his stroke but nice to see him filming again.

As we have a 1960,s build house then the gardens are quite small back and front . Later build have even less than we have. Its nice to see advice for small gardens and how to determine what will grow etc/ not all gardens face the same way some have garages etc that obscure sunlight getting in and some never get full sun . We do need the whole spectrum !! lol covered .

GHeather

GHeather Report 19 May 2013 14:46

Shirley, Monty Don, sure is a great presenter! I enjoy it when he goes to other countries to explore their great gardens! :-D

GHeather

GHeather Report 19 May 2013 14:47

I enjoy gardening, very much into plants, wildlife, the lot! :-D

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 19 May 2013 15:03

Just been out in the back garden cleaning out the pond pump . We have a quite big preformed fibre glass pond with goldfish only have 5 but three of em are quite big. They do breed and we get fry that some go on to be part of the pack! its upsetting when one of the BIG ones die but then they are about 6 years old so at the end of their lifespan.

We do have HAROLD though the tortoise who is over 50 years old. Was daughters pet who she had when she was 9 but he got left at home when she married and moved away and couldn't take him with her.

He was a worry this this years as it was so cold and he hibernates in his house on the patio. he didnt surface till late April .the latest he has ever been but bless him he wandering around and eating well

Diamonds-R-A-Girls-Best-Friend

Diamonds-R-A-Girls-Best-Friend Report 19 May 2013 16:28

I love my garden it's not formal but more like a cottage and full of wildlife.

Monty Don ..................... can anyone remember when he first started out and he advised people to put blood (illegal now) on the lawn in August, he really got slated for that.

My sister in Canada watches every UK gardening programme she can receive, her favourite is Gardeners World.

K

K Report 19 May 2013 16:41

In the summer I live in the garden or seem to. After such a cold spell everything is growing well at last. Chelsea Flower Show coming up and programmes starting tonight!!!! Never been but have been to the local Malvern Spring Show and Hampton Court which we really enjoyed

As for presenters like Joe Swift who is are down to earth and Monty is good. Used to love Geoff Hamilton. Loved Monty with his tour of Italian Gardens particularly Ninfa the ruined medieval Italian village. If you haven't seen it have a look http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGEjoVlCj6A

GHeather

GHeather Report 19 May 2013 17:33

I enjoy watching the Chelsea Flower Show, brill! :-D

Sue

Sue Report 19 May 2013 17:41

Love gardening. Especially like Carol Klein sp.? shes so passionate and i love her style of gardening.
Enjoyed Monty Dons italian gardens and french gardens, though he was good at presenting.

Sue