General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Suffraggetes

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Liz 47

Liz 47 Report 22 May 2013 12:52

Sunday 26th - Channel 4 - Secret of a suffragette - wondered if anyone would be interested - Liz

Alisoun

Alisoun Report 24 May 2013 09:26

oh lvely I'll watch that .i'm trying to imagine the wholeof my nanas lifestyleand things that impacted her childhood ;what years was thatmovement exactly ./ Nana brn1899 .excuse typin imn isters computr whilemineisin for repairs .psnearly missed this thread usually lookat gene0lgy =finding anestors threads only

TessAkaBridgetTheFidget

TessAkaBridgetTheFidget Report 24 May 2013 10:29

Thanks Liz, will try to watch (or record).

kandj

kandj Report 24 May 2013 11:01

Sounds interesting and will try to remember to watch it, what time is it on please?

Liz 47

Liz 47 Report 24 May 2013 11:12

Sorry - 8pm - 9pm - Liz

PollyinBrum

PollyinBrum Report 24 May 2013 11:29

Thank you, as it's a bank holiday weekend I will have to record it,we never know who will turn up at our house. :-D

Alisoun

Alisoun Report 31 May 2013 06:03

oops missed it, was it good ?

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 31 May 2013 07:43

When I was quite young and first heard about the suffragettes I asked my Nain if she had marched. She said she was too busy bringing up children but she had signed petitions.

She added that anyway she did have the vote - my grandfather's, who voted the way she told him.

Very matriarchal society in the valleys.

Alisoun

Alisoun Report 31 May 2013 22:13

When my nana got vote she quietly voted the opposite to her husband for years without anyone knowing . for some reason I can't remember which was labour + which was Tory .

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 1 Jun 2013 00:57

I watched that programme - the new footage showed that Emily was trying to pin the WSPU banner to the horse rather than throw herself in front of it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emily_Davison Emily_Davison
Wiki article articlegives new perspective.

My gran's older sisters were involved with the burning of Heaton Pavilion in 1913. Some would today class them as terrorists, it's very subjective.

BarneyKent

BarneyKent Report 1 Jun 2013 17:18

Personally I don't believe this theory. In 1913 following the tragic death of Miss Davison which ended the King's chance of a Derby win with his horse Anmer, the race was won by Aboyeur in a time of 2 minutes and 37.7 seconds.

This gives an average speed for the one and a half mile race of about 35 mph. The run downhill to Tattenham Corner is one of the fastest stretches of the race before they approach the rise up to the finishing post. The horses would therefore have been running at about 40 mph at the time Miss Davison ran onto the course.

Nobody in their right mind would believe it possible to pin a banner onto a car or even slap a sticker on its window as it passed by at 40 mph any more than they would try to do it with galloping racehorses.

Emily Davison dying because she tried to pin a banner on the King's horse must rank alongside other urban myths, such as Marilyn Monroe being killed by the CIA, Elvis Presley being alive and working in a hamburger joint in Kentucky and the Moon Landings being faked.

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 1 Jun 2013 19:36

Is that what you still thought after you watched the new footage Staffyknot? And why did the Jockey Club hold onto that very banner?

BarneyKent

BarneyKent Report 2 Jun 2013 10:08

She may have had a banner and tried to put it on the horse but walking into the path of a group of horses galloping at 40 mph, she certainly knew she was going to die.

Alisoun

Alisoun Report 5 Jun 2013 20:55

she had bought a return train ticket and a ticket to a suffragette dance later that day ;that doesn't sound like the act of someone who intended to kill herself !
staffy knot :How do we know how much she knew about horses speeds ; I wouldn't even if I was told that was the fastest part if I hadn't seen it on TV i wouldn't be able to imagine those speeds .

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 5 Jun 2013 22:36

Until I saw that new footage I thought she intended to be a martyr to her cause.

But having seen the film which was from a completely different angle to that previously seen, and which is much clearer, I am now of a totally different opinion.