General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

The British Newspaper Archive

British Newspaper Archive

Read about historical events at the time they were happening. Perhaps you'll discover your ancestor in their local newspaper?

Start searching

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What do you think of MPs ?

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

GHeather

GHeather Report 20 Jun 2013 17:30

Perhaps you think there are too many MPs ? Are they overpaid, or about right ?? What MPs do you like the most, and the ones you don't like ?? etc... Could be an interesting chat, look forward to your thoughts/views...

GHeather

GHeather Report 20 Jun 2013 17:36

I was surprised to read how much some of these Labour MPs are worth. I think Margaret Hodge is worth about 50 Million! Is it really true though ? Some of them have about 3 or 4 houses, who paid for them, or helped to pay for them ?

~`*`Jude`*`~

~`*`Jude`*`~ Report 20 Jun 2013 18:05

GH...you have this thread up 3 times??

JH

GHeather

GHeather Report 20 Jun 2013 19:07

Ok, not sure what happened there... Jude, I will try and correct it, thanks for telling me. :-)

~`*`Jude`*`~

~`*`Jude`*`~ Report 20 Jun 2013 19:11

It may be the site as l have just sent a pm to someone and not realised they had sent me one, it did'nt show at the top "Messages"

jude :-)

GHeather

GHeather Report 20 Jun 2013 19:17

Ok Jude. Tell me about your Heather family line... where did they come from ?

~`*`Jude`*`~

~`*`Jude`*`~ Report 20 Jun 2013 19:43

Arr now that will have to be for another day.....off to bed now and away tomorrow:)

jude

GHeather

GHeather Report 20 Jun 2013 21:20

Ok Jude. :-)

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 20 Jun 2013 22:13

I have been very impressed with my local MP. He is Chris Bryant (Labour) and is a bit of a Rottweiler. I disagree with his politics (I am Plaid Cymru), I disagree with quite a few of his views. But he is very pro-active, works very hard, extremely intelligent and definitely earns his money.

And Ann Clwyd in next constituency is a popular poppet. And Owen Smith in Ponty is an excellent Shadow Secretary of State for Wales to David Cameron. May have got surname wrong of new Tory Secretary of State for Wales but he is posh and has only slighter greater interest in Wales than previous one, Cheryl Gillan :-( :-(

CupCakes

CupCakes Report 20 Jun 2013 23:35

GHeather where do you live - curious why you picked on Margaret Hodge - Gary Hodge lives down the road from here.

I just happen to know some MPs so just curious which ones get mentioned and why.
:-)

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 20 Jun 2013 23:50

John I find your comment about Ann Clwyd particularly condescending and derogatory.

NanaSue - I don't think GHeather was specifically singling anyone out - which politicians are you familiar with, I do so hope it isn't wishy washy LibDems lol
I went to a LibDem party once and got thrown out.

GHeather

GHeather Report 21 Jun 2013 00:22

NanaSue, I just read about her in the newspaper a while ago... and I could have mentioned other MPs too.

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 21 Jun 2013 00:30

GHeather I think your question is very valid.
Different parties preach different things but they are all the same really.
For example, LibDems are known for their wishy washyness but always accuse other parties of doing the same thing. Some members even get expelled from their own parties or councils for it.
Well done for putting up such a thought provoking thread - I personally think that MPs get paid the right money but, like in anything, be it politics, local councils, the church - all walks of life - you will always have rotten eggs.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 21 Jun 2013 00:40

have you ever thought that most people who run for political office have already had a career, and made money at that career, OR else they have inherited wealth?

In general, I have found that those who are independently wealthy, by inheritance, and are of what used to be called the "upper class", tend to be much more genuine than the self-made wealthy.

Political office is not, and never has been, in general for the poorly off ..................... that's why you rarely have the ordinary miner or the cotton mill worker running, for any party.

Then, of course, you do have to worry about the graft that goes on AFTER they have won an election.

I never used to be .................. but I am now very cynical about any and all politicians, in any country.

The "poor but honest" politician no longer exists, but if he or she does exist .............. he or she will soon find themselves at a loss in getting any of their aims and hopes achieved.

and Labour is just as bad as Tory, or as Lib Dem

with us, the equivalent would be NDP (close to your Labour) is just as bad as Conservative, or as Liberal .........

.................... except my readings tell me that your lot are much worse than our lot!

I do have high hopes for the new leaders of the NDP and the Liberals here .......... both seem to be pretty squeaky clean and independently wealthy, despite all the slurs being thrown at them by the Government.

The Leader of the Conservatives, ie the PM, is worth much more now that he was before he entered politics about 15 years ago, and is just a sleaze bag determined to make Canada into HIS image of Canada by any means.

interested in politics in all countries for almost 60 years

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 21 Jun 2013 00:45

Having posted .............

Political office is not, and never has been, in general for the poorly off ..................... that's why you rarely have the ordinary miner or the cotton mill worker running, for any party.

I have just thought of the prime example that shows how wrong that statement could be ..............

The one and only, inimitable Bessie Braddock

:-D

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 21 Jun 2013 09:27

Have followed Ann Clwyd for years - ever since she was a European MEP. Have met her. Have admired her for what she has fought for, and how she has fought.

She called me a poppet too. And I in no way took her to be condescending or derogatory :-D :-D If you call me a poppet, Errol - I shall not object :-) ;-)

Bessie Braddock - who drowned a beautiful Welsh valley near Bala and small but vibrant community in mid 60's for absolutely nothing except to show her authority. Differing views about her, Sylvia. :-( :-(

TheBlackKnight

TheBlackKnight Report 21 Jun 2013 09:53

John, I find myself agreeing with ErrolSheep on this one. So be a good little poppet dont go getting on the soap box today, this is a nice thread lets keep it that way.

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 21 Jun 2013 09:58

:-D :-D @ TBK.

Thank goodness you don't agree with me. I might have a seizure, TBK. ;-)

ROFLMBO

TheBlackKnight

TheBlackKnight Report 21 Jun 2013 10:15

JohnLovesHorlicks Report 21 Jun 2013 09:58

:-D :-D@ TBK.

Thank goodness you don't agree with me. I might have a seizure, TBK. :-D:-

ROFLMBO
------------------------------------------------------

John that posting just shows everybody on here how low you are willing to go, It's known on here that I have a history of Epilepsy so you use it. I could do simerler but I am not as low as you.

GHeather

GHeather Report 21 Jun 2013 10:19

ErrolSheep made some good points, and some of the others were good too, so, thanks for your interesting thoughts. :-D