General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Genes Extras

Genes Reunited subscription bonuses

As a way of saying thank you to our subscribers, we have launched Genes Extras. You'll find exclusive competitions and discounts on family history magazines, days out and much more.

Take me to Genes Extras

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Have you seen a famous person ?

Page 1 + 1 of 3

1. «
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 28 Jun 2013 22:44

we where offered the bungelow next door to jackie charlton
but i couldnt of listened to all the F words
coming from behind the garden fence :-( :-(

Brenda from Wales

Brenda from Wales Report 28 Jun 2013 23:02

Beatles our supporting group at the Cavern in Liverpool when it was a Jazz club...late 50's
Knew Acker bilk and his band and George Melly....made my skin creep......
Humphrey Lyttleton,lovely man,lots of other musicians.

My OH had photo taken with 3 degrees when he was policeman.He knew a lot of celebs through his work.Richard Branson used to visit his dad when he was young in the magistrates Court where he worked......the Roux Brothers appeared in the court ,and lots of others for minor offences.

Island

Island Report 28 Jun 2013 23:54

I've seen loads of famous people and seen a few royals.

I'm more interested in why you find this interesting GH.

Harry

Harry Report 28 Jun 2013 23:58

I could name drop forever. As a Police Inspector I met Prince Charles and Lady (as she was)Diana - just a casual meet - I accompanied them round as senior police officer, during the miners strike. Met Charles again and had a brief chat with him in a snow-storm.

Happy days

GHeather

GHeather Report 29 Jun 2013 00:03

Island, It's just that we see famous people mainly on TV, and not many people see them in real life, it's also the story around them that are interesting, refering to the examples above.

Island

Island Report 29 Jun 2013 00:05

Same here Harry, re name dropping but I've never been a police inspector.

Nice to see you posting, hope you're well :-)

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 29 Jun 2013 00:12

Quite a few visual 'encounters' in Winchester.
More personally, had a cup of tea and a chat about gardening over the neighbours fence with Buster Bloodvessel :-D

Lovely, gentle, man.

In my 'youff' I lived just up the road from the Queens hotel in Southsea, where the cast of 'Tommy' stayed. I was chatted up, and bought a drink by Pete Townsend - but I left alone..... :-)
I had to go to meet my boyfriend.

Also 'met' David Bowie in his 'Spiders from Mars' phase.
I was innocently walking past a coach behind the Mayflower in Southampton, when the coach door opened and David Bowie landed on me!!
He was extremely apologetic. I mumbled, and walked on...

edit: I also had a chat with King Faisal of Saudi Arabia when I was 17.
Strange circumstances.
King Faisla bred Salukis. Dad chose and paid for a male puppy off him, the puppy was 3 weeks old. When the puppies were weaned, they were put into a nursery.
Dad's puppy killed all the other male puppies, so, when he went to pick the puppy up, he was asked if he could defer getting the dog castrated and bring him back for siring purposes when he was 2.
This dad did, when I happened to be out in Riyadh.
Faisal was so happy to see this (allegedly) superior dog, we had tea with the King while the dog did his duty :-D

Barbara

Barbara Report 29 Jun 2013 00:22

My cousin was married to Anthony Andrews (Brideshead Revisited)'s youngest sister.

I have had a birthday kiss from Gene Pitney

Met Ken Dodd when he came to our town to perform an opening ceremony

Relation I never met was the creator of Roger the Dodger (Beano/Dandy) fame,

Have met Dennis Tanner from Corrie twice

Barbara

Barbara Report 29 Jun 2013 00:35

Royalty- Saw the Duke of Edinburgh and Prince Edward when our daughter got her Gold Duke of Edinburgh award - (she was actually presented with it by Bonnie Langford) and, as we were walking from the Palace, Sophie, Countess of Wessex drove out past us.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 29 Jun 2013 02:01

Rode in an elevator (lift to you) in Leningrad with Elizabeth Taylor

she was GORGEOUS, even dressed in a white towelling robe and with a white towelling "turban" covering her hair

daughter sang in a choir for Prince Charles and Diana when they opened Expo 86 here in Vancouver.

and, like almost everyone else, have seen the Queen and Prince Philip several times, even though not living in the UK

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 29 Jun 2013 05:29

Living in London it is often hard not to see anyone famous when out and about.

But I did sit next to Ingrid Bergman in the Harrods Fruit bar about 2 weeks before she died.

Nearly knocked Fern Brittens dad over in Herne Hill one afternoon when he walked out in front of me!!!

BarneyKent

BarneyKent Report 29 Jun 2013 09:28

The late actor Donald Houston used to come into our local. He just wanted to be an ordinary customer, without people asking for autographs and pictures. All the other locals respected this and he was just "Don".

If a stranger came in and said, you look just like that actor Donald Houston he would say, " a lot of people say that, can't see it myself ".

A great guy.

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 29 Jun 2013 09:48

World War Z

Daughter No2 was an undergraduate studying TV and Film Production.
She had already applied to be a runner for the film in the Glasgow location, but had been unsuccessfull

At the start of filming, she and her friends were in Glasgow, but could not get anywhere near the set, so they left George Square and decided to go for lunch instead.

About 20 mins later, some of the film crew came into the bar where they were having lunch, and announced that filming was about to start directly outside, and told them what they should ( and shouldn't do)..... daughter had a window seat!

A 4x4 rolled up, the passenger got out and Brad Pitt was right there.. on the other side of the glass looking in and waving.
WWZ was released last week, and although the scene was used.... daughter and her pals are just out of shot.
Drat!

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 29 Jun 2013 10:03

Andrew Davies who writes all those racey productions for BBC was in my class in school

ValerieM

ValerieM Report 29 Jun 2013 10:21

The late Wendy Richard was a guest at my BIL wedding and we were sitting with her in the lounge area of the hotel where the reception was. Such a lovely lady.

Also, a friend of mine, who was an actress, wrote a book of poems and I was invited to the book launch in London. Amongst the guests were Trevor Eve and his wife Sharon Maughan, who we were standing next to and also Phyilda Law (Emma Thompson's mother).

My daughter went to see a show a couple of years ago and during the break went outside for a cigarette. Boy George came out and asked if she had a spare cigarette and they were chatting throughout the break. She said he was really nice.

GHeather

GHeather Report 29 Jun 2013 11:03

Some really fantastic info, I enjoyed reading them all, thanks very much for posting! :-D ;-) <3

GoldenGirl1

GoldenGirl1 Report 29 Jun 2013 11:11

Many years ago worked in security at Aberdeen Airport.
From celebs, Hollywood stars, singers, prime ministers etc.
One of my favourites Barbra Cartland a lovely lady who refused
to go into the VIP lounge and sat with the oilrig men chatting and
laughing.

Emma :-)

Mersey

Mersey Report 29 Jun 2013 11:16

I have met Ant and Dec :-D

GoldenGirl1

GoldenGirl1 Report 29 Jun 2013 11:22

We've all got a cross to bare Mersey :-D :-D

KittytheLearnerCook

KittytheLearnerCook Report 29 Jun 2013 11:22

I served Trevor Macdonald in our local shop, helped Cliff Richard find laces for his trainers in same shop.

Both men were lovely and visiting family who live close to where we live. :-D