General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

SMALL ROADSIDE FARM SHOP

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

DIZZI

DIZZI Report 16 Jul 2013 10:20

THE LAST FEW TIMES BEFORE COMING HOME FROM SUSSEX
I HAVE VISITED A SMALL ROADSIDES FARM SHOP,I BOUGHT SOME POTATO'S I COULD HAVE CLEAN ONES OR WITH DIRT ON,BUT YOU KNOW THEY TASTE OF REAL FOOD
EVEN THE CABBAGE AND CAULIFLOWER HAD TASTE,OKAY A FEW PENCE MORE
BUT WHEN I GOT THE CAULIE SHE SAID "FOR A COUPLE OF MEALS OR YOU FEEDING AN ARMY,ERRR I CHOSE THE SMALLER THE LATTER WOULD HAVE FED TWO ARMYS

KittytheLearnerCook

KittytheLearnerCook Report 16 Jul 2013 10:22

Our local farm shop is a lot cheaper on many items than supermarkets and they do taste so much better :-D

♥†۩ Carol   Paine ۩†♥

♥†۩ Carol Paine ۩†♥ Report 16 Jul 2013 18:05

They grow most of what they sell & where possible buy from local farms. One year they had sold out of runner beans & he was sent off to pick more while I waited.

I do not think that many people realize that much of the supermarket fresh produce has been harvested a t least 4 days before it actually finds its way onto their shelves.
Day 1 harvested & put into cold storage
Day 2 collected from farm (sometimes collections are only 2-3 times a week) Taken to stores own cold storage/warehouse.
Day 3 Delivered to stores cold storage
Day 4 put out onto the shop floor where it remains until it is purchased or over-runs its sell by date.

KittytheLearnerCook

KittytheLearnerCook Report 16 Jul 2013 18:16

Ours does too Carol, there is a pick your own there..................Peter Andre goes there most years :-D