General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How to have a perfect marriage

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 22 Aug 2013 14:57

says couple quoted today in Mail. Do not have children - they go on to list why -all those things we parents know. Any big differences of opinion OH and I have had, have 99% been over our children.

However, on the plus side, without the children we would not have our g.children who still give us joy even though in their mid twenties up.

Are they right? Have they missed out? Your thoughts?

Phyll

Phyll Report 22 Aug 2013 15:16

I wouldn't be without my 2 girls or their children. They have all brough so much joy to me. I consider myself very lucky indeed. But each to their own.

Phyll

Dame*Shelly*(

Dame*Shelly*("\(*o*)/") Report 22 Aug 2013 16:34

children make the world go round

if there was no children then there is no poplasion
then were would we be

simple the world would end

iv got 6 children all have the same father love them all and wouldent be with out them and the 5 lovely grandkids

a marriage is a partnership you have to work at it with or with out children

i think this couple is talking crap

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 22 Aug 2013 16:42

Well we have a lovely daughter and grandchildren and grt grandchildren but the secret to our marriage of 56 years is me & OH have always been each others best friend and we know we can rely on each other.

We married at aged 20 and 23 !!

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 22 Aug 2013 17:22

Do not think anything is perfect, including men. However I would say that there are exceptions - many, many of ladies!! ;-) ;-)

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 22 Aug 2013 17:31

I would agree with Shirley and mirror what she says re our 53 years. I would not be without our children, grandchildren or great grandchild. However, I appreciate that we are all different and some just do not want children. But I don't agree that not having children is the reason for a happy marriage.

If you want a rainbow you have to have some rain and some sun. We have not got where we are without a few skirmishes, but they are never serious and the love is always there, and the friendship. The secret to me is a little bit of give and take, some compromising, some tolerance and a lot of love.

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 22 Aug 2013 17:39

As Ann says - give and take, do not let the sun go down with unease about.

If there is a problem - talk it out, don't bottle. Life is a tapestry so is marriage - we are happy - life has thrown problems at us but we are here.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 22 Aug 2013 21:06

I have read the piece now, they have been married something like (can't remember exactly) 26 years, wonder how they will feel in another 26?

Suzanne

Suzanne Report 22 Aug 2013 21:56

myself and hubby met when i was 16 and he was 18,we married and had our first child within 18months,we have been married for almost 33yrs and been together for 34yrs,we went on to have 4 children,we didnt argue over the children because i stayed at home with them and hubby worked,so it was me that told them off and set the rules,hubby would come home after a 12hr shift and start bathing the kids and getting them ready for bed while i cooked our meal,we shared everything,without my hubby and children,we wouldnt have 4 beautiful grandchildren or grown children who would do anything for us, we are a close family built on a partnership. :-D

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 22 Aug 2013 22:32

That is good to hear Suzanne

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 22 Aug 2013 23:30

Did the couple choose not to have children?

They may be saying that, to cover up the hurt.

We don't have children, it wasn't by choice.

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 23 Aug 2013 13:34

Yes - Lady - they chose not to. Fair enough - that is their choice.

I used to refer to my children 'as luxuries I could not afford'.