General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Genes Extras

Genes Reunited subscription bonuses

As a way of saying thank you to our subscribers, we have launched Genes Extras. You'll find exclusive competitions and discounts on family history magazines, days out and much more.

Take me to Genes Extras

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Bill Shankly

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Elizabethofseasons

Elizabethofseasons Report 2 Sep 2013 20:20

Dear Joy

Hello

Thank you for adding this thread.

The game of football can bring so much into peoples lives,
wherever they live in the world and it unites people.

Some very great people were born in 1913......Mr Shankly was one of them. :-)

Take gentle care
Best wishes
Elizabeth, EOS
xx

Joy Kentish Maid

Joy Kentish Maid Report 2 Sep 2013 19:01

... it is much, much more ... :-)

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 2 Sep 2013 12:58

Some people believe football is a matter of life and death, I am very
disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more
important than that.

Joy Kentish Maid

Joy Kentish Maid Report 2 Sep 2013 12:56

You're welcome.
:-)

Mersey

Mersey Report 2 Sep 2013 08:36

Hi Joy....

My Dad knew him very very well through his family, Dad said behind the football was a man with a huge heart and he was a very quiet mild mannered man.......

My Dad idolised him, not just because of his football history but for his view on life and the way he came across.......

He remembers one time it had been snowing very heavily and there was a match to be played that day, the pitch was iced with snow, and it looked like the match would be called off.....he was watching the groundsman trying their best to get the snow off the pitch, he then picked a shovel up and helped them till the pitch was clear......he said he didnt do it for the football he did it for the men on the pitch whom he had so much respect for............ Liverpool played that day.......

Thankyou for the link....Im going to copy and print it for Dad.....

Joy Kentish Maid

Joy Kentish Maid Report 2 Sep 2013 08:05

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2408600/Liverpools-legendary-boss-Bill-Shankly-loved-passion-Manchester-United-win.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23605961
Bill Shankly's career in pictures

Joy Kentish Maid

Joy Kentish Maid Report 2 Sep 2013 08:05

It would have been Bill Shankly's 100th birthday today. R.I.P.