General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Gift subscriptions

Genes Reunited gift subscription

Do you know someone interested in discovering their family history?

You can now buy a gift subscription to Genes Reunited so they can research their family tree.

Buy gift or redeem gift

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Suggestions needed

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

♥†۩ Carol   Paine ۩†♥

♥†۩ Carol Paine ۩†♥ Report 20 Sep 2013 12:30

How do I get fold marks out of cotton velvet?

I have found a small piece of velvet ideal for recovering my late mother in laws sewing box, but it has 'squashed' patches.

I would love to use it as it is a deep chocolate brown & would look good with the cream satin I have left over from bridesmaids dresses for the lining.

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 20 Sep 2013 12:31

Steam usually works.

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 20 Sep 2013 12:50

Don't know if this will help in your case, but my kilt jacket was made of velvet and my mum used to wait till someone was having a bath and then she would hang the jacket in the bathroom, she would then use a hair dryer to dry the jacket out.

Sally

Sally Report 20 Sep 2013 13:18

steam it put a thick pad underneath put a wet teacloth on top and carefully use the iron very gently keep looking and brushing the pile up may take a little time

I was a dressmaker working in bond street London and this is what we did good luck

sally w <3

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 20 Sep 2013 15:12

steam was the first thing that came to mind for me too - maybe hold it in front of the kettle spout when it boils

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 20 Sep 2013 15:40

Thought - do you not iron/steam from the underside to avoid damaging the pile?

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 20 Sep 2013 15:43

think that's right

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 20 Sep 2013 19:11

I used to put a towel on velvet before ironing it.

DIZZI

DIZZI Report 20 Sep 2013 19:34

HI CAROL
MY MUM WAS A DRESSMAKER AND PRAISED
THE DAY OF THE ICE CUBE
SHE WOULD PLACE A ICE CUBE ON IT AND LET IT MELT
THEN DRY
MIND YOU I NEVER TRIED IT MYSELF

Wend

Wend Report 20 Sep 2013 19:55

I would just iron it very carefully on the wrong side over a cloth - I usually use an old handkerchief.

MR_MAGOO

MR_MAGOO Report 20 Sep 2013 20:05

I would...........................find another piece ........ :-D

♥†۩ Carol   Paine ۩†♥

♥†۩ Carol Paine ۩†♥ Report 20 Sep 2013 21:01

Thank you I did as Sally suggested & it worked.

It was the only piece I had in my fabric bits that seemed right for the box, as I wanted to use the cream satin. The only cotton braid, in the right width for the edges was white, so I dyed it with coffee... am very pleased with the result.
The only thing I need to do now is attempt to copy the quilting on the inside of the lid & tidy the bottom of the box. I do not know what was there originally as there is just a rectangle of glue.

The box had been sitting in a cupboard since my late Father in Law died & we had to clear the old cottage. When I emptied it in with the many reels of cotton I found a needle case that my husband had made for her at primary school, her silver thimble, a pretty little pair of scissors and spare rubber suspenders.

I do hope she would approve of its new look... before I hem the new base into it I am going to laminate a little note to leave for the next person who decides to refurbish it.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 20 Sep 2013 21:45

I bet she'd absolutely love it - well done you :-)

Sally

Sally Report 20 Sep 2013 22:40

glad to be of help

it sounds it it will be a nice tribute to your mum in law
I am now unable to do such things because of my sight

enjoy

sally w <3

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 21 Sep 2013 03:28

It sounds lovely Carol, I am glad you managed to get the creases out of the velvet.

Enjoy using the box, I am sure your M.i.l. would approve.

Lizx

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 21 Sep 2013 05:39

oooh I'd love to see the sewing box.

:-D

It sounds too gorgeous to use lol