General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Patricia

Patricia Report 22 Sep 2013 18:35

Does anyone happen to know that if someone has changed their name by deed poll, will their birth name appear on the death certificate? Searching for someone who has done this but am reluctant to order death certificate as am unsure if it would be the one I want.

jax

jax Report 22 Sep 2013 18:44

If someone has changed their name, then that is what would be on the death cert I would of thought

DIZZI

DIZZI Report 22 Sep 2013 18:50

ONCE A PERSON CHANGES THEIR NAME BY DEED POLE
THAT IS THEIR LEGAL NAME AND DEATH IS REGISTERED
IN THAT NAME.

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 22 Sep 2013 18:54

The name of a deceased person is the name by which they were known at the time of death,

All info related to the deceased person on a death cert is only as good as the informants knowledge of the deceased.

Roy

UzziAndHerDogs

UzziAndHerDogs Report 22 Sep 2013 19:06

My Mum changed her name and I am not even sure if it was by deed poll. The name she changed to all those years ago is the name on her death cert as it was on her passport.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 22 Sep 2013 20:55

you don't need to go through deed poll to change your name

It is just as legal to do it by simply declaring that that is the name by which you will be known in future. You then notify all financial institutions, etc (anywhere you might have dealings), get new credit cards etc .................. and that is that

The only thing that would be wrong doing it that way, is if you changed your name for criminal reasons.

Then your death certificate would be in the name by which you were known.