General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

I liked this so decided to share it

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 13 Feb 2014 07:35

SON: "Daddy, may I ask you a question?"
DAD: "Yeah sure, what is it?"
SON: "Daddy, how much do you earn an hour?"
DAD: "That's none of your business. Why do you ask such a thing?"
SON: "I just want to know. Please tell me, how much do you earn an hour?"
DAD: "If you must know, I earn £100 an hour."
SON: "Oh! (With his head down).
SON: "Daddy, may I please borrow £50?"
The father was furious.
DAD: "If the only reason you asked that is so you can borrow some money to buy a silly gadget or some other silly thing, then get yourself straight up to your room and go to bed. Think about why you are being so selfish, as I don't work hard everyday to come home to such selfish behaviour."

The little boy quietly went to his room and shut the door.
The father sat down and started to get even more annoyed about his son's question, muttering to himself "how dare he ask such a question only to get some money."

After about an hour or so, the father had calmed down, and started to think:
Maybe there was something he really needed to buy with that £50 and he doesn't ask for money very often. The father went to the door of the little boy's room and opened the door.

DAD: "Are you asleep, son?"

SON: "No daddy, I'm awake".
DAD: "I've been thinking, maybe I was too hard on you earlier. It's been a long day and I took out my aggravation on you, here's the £50 you asked for."

The little boy sat straight up, looked at his father, smiled and said "Oh, thank you daddy!" He then, reaching under his pillow and pulled out some more money.

The father seeing that his son already had some money, started to get angry again. The little boy slowly counted out his money, and then looked up as his father spoke.

DAD: "Why did you want more money if you already have some?"

SON: "Because I didn't have enough, but now I do, I have £100 now daddy so can I buy an hour of your time so you can come home early tomorrow and spend some time with me."

The father was lost for words and he put his arms around his son and asked him to forgive him.

This is a reminder to everyone who works so hard in life that they should not let time slip through their fingers without having spent some time with those who really matter to us, those closest to our hearts.

Let us remember to share that £100 worth of our time with someone we love, if we die tomorrow, the company that we are working for could easily replace us in a matter of days. But the family and friends we leave behind will feel the loss for the rest of their lives.

kandj

kandj Report 13 Feb 2014 08:50

Aww, pass the tissues! Time is priceless and family are precious IMHO.

Graham

Graham Report 13 Feb 2014 09:17

£100 per hour?! Is he an mp? :-D
Joking aside, I think we have it a lot easier than our ancestors did. We don't work anywhere near as long; and are generally much better off. Yet I think out ancestors still found opportunities to spend quality time with there families. So we have no excuse. Life isn't about money.