General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

A sad loss for politics

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 14 Mar 2014 07:47

Sadly, Tony Benn has passed away.
He was a fantastic orator and truly great politician and although I may not agree with some of his politics I had tremendous respect for him.
I was lucky enough to go and hear him speak and, as a young journalist, Tony Benn was the first person in the political spotlight I interviewed.
It was an absolute pleasure.
I distinctly remember that interview to this day and have very fond memories of a truly great, disciplined, principled man.

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 14 Mar 2014 07:49

I liked his way of speaking.

Rest in Peace, Tony.

Lizx

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 14 Mar 2014 07:58

I disagree with most of his beliefs but he was a honorable man who stuck to his principles

Something you see less of in politics these days

RIP Tony

Roy

wisechild

wisechild Report 14 Mar 2014 07:59

Liked him a lot & had great respect for him, even if I didnĀ“t always agree with what he said.
At least he said what he thought without waffling.

Gee

Gee Report 14 Mar 2014 08:04

A very sad loss

A brilliant man

RIP <3

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 14 Mar 2014 08:13

During the time I was actively involved in election campaigns in the 60s & 70's, I met Tony Benn a couple of times and although many of Tony's views were a bit far left for my liking, I always respected him for standing up for what he believed in, his oratory skills, he was a brilliant politician, a formidable political opponent, and in my view something we are sadly lacking in today's political arena - a statesman.

R.I.P. Tony Benn - my thoughts & prayers, go to his children Stephen, Hilary, Melissa, Joshua, and all his grandchildren, at what must be a very difficult time for them <3

PollyinBrum

PollyinBrum Report 14 Mar 2014 09:24

Agree or disagree with his political views, he was a man who held fast to his principles,

"Making mistakes is part of life. The only things I would feel ashamed of would be if I had said things I hadn't believed in order to get on. Some politicians do do that"

Amen to that!

RIP

Edit Errol He kept a recording of all of his interviews. You may go down in history.

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 14 Mar 2014 09:39

That would be a great honour indeed!

One of my favourites has to be "I am not a reluctant peer but a persistent commoner".

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 14 Mar 2014 10:41

He never aimed for the window and hit the door ;-)

"The House of Lords is the British Outer Mongolia for retired politicians" - New York Times, February, 1962.

"Broadcasting is really too important to be left to the broadcasters" - 1968 when Minister of Technology.

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 27 Mar 2014 12:02

His funeral is taking place today and it is wonderful to see the tremendous respect from people as the cortege passes.