General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Clarissa Dickson Wright dies.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

BrendafromWales

BrendafromWales Report 17 Mar 2014 12:09

The two fat ladies remaining cook has died in an Edinburgh hospital after being ill for some time.

She was only 66.

I didn't always fancy the food they cooked as it was usually very fatty and I could never understand how Jennifer cooked with those long painted nails.

I saw her on other programmes though and found she was a very amusing and knowledgeable lady.

RIP Clarissa. <3

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 17 Mar 2014 12:13

How sad.

I am now more certain that I must read her biography, she led an interesting life.

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 17 Mar 2014 13:54

I liked the programer Two Fat Ladies - Mellisa was to all accounts quite a character, she was well educated, quite wealthy, and a qualified barrister. She was a bit of a rebel and she is alleged to have got up to naughty things with an MP behind the Speakers Chair in the House of Commons, she was an alcoholic - alas I think her heavy drinking over many years has taken its toll, 66 these days is not old.

R.I.P. Clarissa - you will be remembered by all who loved you <3

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 17 Mar 2014 14:41

What a shame. :-(

A colourful character and someone who appeared to have a colourful life.

R.I.P. Clarissa. <3

KittytheLearnerCook

KittytheLearnerCook Report 17 Mar 2014 14:52

She was an amazing character, she will be missed. RIP Clarissa :-(

GinN

GinN Report 17 Mar 2014 16:30

I liked Clarissa. I read her biography - she really was a bit of a girl in her day, and a great character. She was a recovering alcoholic, and the amount of tonic she consumed with her gin had an adverse effect on her kidneys and metabolism, so she was never able to lose her excess weight once she stopped drinking.
She will certainly be missed.

R.I.P. Clarissa <3

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 17 Mar 2014 16:41

The beginning of the universe has been found but now it is smaller and a lot more boring. A delightful lady.

At least we still have the very entertaining programs :-)
<3 <3

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 17 Mar 2014 21:46

I was quite shocked. Did not realise she was 66. and thought she was quite a bit younger. Great character who had had a most eventful life. She would always be a guest at my pretend celebrity table. Agree with Rollo, and love his choice of words. Yes, RIP Clarissa

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 18 Mar 2014 08:38

Sad that her past life caused her early death, she was a real character.

Coincidently I bought her biography a few weeks ago from a Charity shop but haven't got round to reading it yet having bought quite a few books lately. Must put it at the top of the pile to read next.

Rest in peace Clarissa, reunited with your friend now.

Lizx

PollyinBrum

PollyinBrum Report 18 Mar 2014 08:44

Clarissa was a larger than life character, who always brought fun and laughter into all she did. I used to love to watch The Two Fat Ladies and have a couple of their cookery books. Also three books she wrote about her life. "Spilling the Beans" "Rifling Through My Drawers: My Life in a Year" and "Potty!!." She wrote very much as she lived her life, in an educated, articulate funny and easy style.

At the age of 21, she passed her Bar exams and became the country's youngest barrister. She lived the high life, but sadly alcoholism took its toll as it did with her father who was once surgeon to the H M the Queen.

Her full name was Clarissa Theresa Philomena Aileen Mary Josephine Agnes Elsie Trilby Louise Esmerelda Dickson Wright  .

Rest in peace, Clarissa and thank you! <3

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 18 Mar 2014 08:54

I knew that, Paula. I absolutely knew that. Named after the British hockey team who did so well in 1936 Berlin Olympics. :-) ;-) Think Clarissa suited her well - she was never an Agnes or an Elsie.

Sounds like you bagged a bargain there, Liz. Would you like to choose my lottery numbers and my shares please :-D