General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Opinions wanted with regard to Carpetrite.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 20 Mar 2014 15:43

Are they reliable, do the job when they say they will etc etc etc.
Would appreciate input, thank you.
Sue.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 20 Mar 2014 15:48

never used them myself but a good friend of mine always uses them - she is ultra fussy and they would have to be good for her to use them

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 20 Mar 2014 15:53

Only used them once about 5 months ago. We wanted to change a carpet in the house we had just moved into but didn't want to spend a fortune. They had a special deal on a carpet we liked so we took a chance on them.

No complaints at all. They turned up at the right time, with the right carpet, and did a decent job of laying it.

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 20 Mar 2014 15:56

Whole house done by them 5 years ago. Great job.

Kuros

Kuros Report 20 Mar 2014 16:23

We've used them a few times and found them all right. One thing to be mindful of is the fitters would only take cash for payment. That may have just been in my part of the world though. We did get a receipt for it.

Annie

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 20 Mar 2014 16:32

We didn't have to pay cash.

Lyndi

Lyndi Report 20 Mar 2014 17:06

I used them a couple of years ago and would use again - I had to pay cash to the fitters. :-)

Andrew

Andrew Report 20 Mar 2014 17:36

Have used them before. Carpets OK once you find what the actual price is. 50% off, then extra 10% etc. Fitting extra as other people have said. Wouldn't use them now as found that local independent stores offer a better service cheaper.

Andy

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 20 Mar 2014 17:53

We have used them five times now - no problems.

Fitters do prefer cash, but they have always done a first class job and we always give them a bit extra.

Maryanna

Maryanna Report 20 Mar 2014 18:04

We have used them several times, they always do a good job. I could watch the fitters for hours. Huge great bits of carpet all shoved into place by their knees, it seems !!

M.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 20 Mar 2014 18:06

When we've used them Fitters are self-employed, hence the preference for cash.

No problems with delivery or Fitters. The Fitters, like most, like to have room cleared of furniture. If you can't do it all yourselves, as long as they know in advance, they might bring someone else along to help.

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 20 Mar 2014 23:06

Thank you all for your input, it would seem the opposite here. We chose, ordered and paid for our carpet two weeks ago they said it would be fitted today, I booked the day off work only to be told yesterday that it is discontinued and we would have to go back to choose another carpet, when we got there I told them exactly what I thought of their "service" they said it would defo be delivered to the store Monday and fitted the next day.
I'm calm at the moment but if they don't deliver the goods etc Tuesday they had better look out because I have a ton of bricks and know how to use them.

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 25 Mar 2014 22:11

I will never use them again, shoddy service lies, lies and more lies,,the fitters finally got here at 2:10 took 4 hours and didn't vacuum or put anything back.
Going in the store at the weekend to tear them off a strip in front of customers.
They've had our money and did nothing till pushed, you'd never guess that I'm not happy would you?

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 25 Mar 2014 22:41

Sounds as though it depends on the store and local fitters. We have bought carpets from them but only smallish bedroom ones that OH fitted himself and the same with a bathroom one. For our main carpets, lounge, stairs main bedroom we have always used independent carpet suppliers who also do the fitting. Most fitters won't move or replace furniture.

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 25 Mar 2014 22:58

We asked if fitters would move furniture (two bedrooms) were told that it will be noted that we needed them to do that, we emptied the wardrobes and draws so that made them lighter, they moved them enough to put carpet down but didn't put them back, there was bits of carpet and underlay everywhere, I think they were told the opposit to what we had asked.
It seems they get your money and don't give a s..t after that. :-|

Mauatthecoast

Mauatthecoast Report 25 Mar 2014 23:35

Stores usually take your order, then arrange a contract with an independent carpet fitter to do the job.

If you're lucky you get a good fitter, though unfortunately there are some not qualified or as good. Might not be the store's liability but if you complain they should take bad workers off their books.
I served an apprenticeship as carpet/ upholsteress and things were so different then, we all had to clean up afterwards and van took any rubbish away.....but that was a long time ago :-(

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 26 Mar 2014 08:57

Our fitter from the independent shop, who was on his own although he said there were usually two of them. was here over 6 hours, he fitted small hall and landing plus stairs and a large bedroom. We moved some furniture, he moved/ helped move whatw e couldn't and he cleaned up every little bit and put things back. He got a good tip. :-)

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 26 Mar 2014 14:49

We've never had a 'bad' fitter, but even the best ones we've had (John Lewis) didn't vac.
They've all collected the trimmings together and either suggested that we throw them out, or that they could take them away if they have a recycling facility.