General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Good Companions Club

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 26 Mar 2014 23:29

Fifty years ago a club was started in the village for the elderly.

For some years it really thrived with outings and a huge craft section that had wonderful sales attracting people from miles around.

Over the years it has shrunk to a few of the older women who gather in the church hall once a week with a bit of knitting or whatever they do for a bit of relaxation and pay a pound for the privilege, a cup of tea and a biscuit.

Another little group share the hall and do some crafts.

Guess who picked up a bit of sewing and went off down there today.

Hello old farthood!

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 27 Mar 2014 05:28

laffin my head off :-D :-D :-D

While you're there Sharron........ can you look for a nice tea cosy for me please? I can't find one anywhere....... even at the CWA shop (Country Women's Association...... well known in Oz for dunny dollies & lamingtons).

:-D

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 27 Mar 2014 06:16

Good for you Sharron, you can keep the folks entertained with stories of Fred, altho they probably see a lot of his escapades lol

Lizx

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 27 Mar 2014 07:08

I think the hall must be across the road from the sausage sandwich cafe :-D

Sharron will be wearing a trench coat & sunglasses.

What did you make today Sharron?

Sharron

Sharron Report 27 Mar 2014 07:46

I made a lavender bag of course.

Is it really impossible to get a tea cosy in Oz?

I have two which are used daily. I think they came from Dunelm Mills in a factory shop village.

If you really need on I can probably get one for you if you pm me.

K

K Report 27 Mar 2014 08:11

I think the membership of this club will rocket now . Can we all come :-D

Dermot

Dermot Report 27 Mar 2014 08:59

Life is too short & friends are too few.

Sharron

Sharron Report 27 Mar 2014 08:59

Yeh course.

There is a mini bus that picks up some people.

It is a pound each and you get a cup of tea and a large number of biscuits appear on the table.

I think the craft people were learning how to crochet but I can already do that so I sat on the table where the gossip was!

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 27 Mar 2014 09:20

Good for you sharron, it will give you a break to get amongst other people and learn the local gossip. :-D Fred will probably be there with his knitting when he thinks he is missing out :-D

Sharron

Sharron Report 27 Mar 2014 09:26

He can only use one hand.

It will have to be crochet.

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 27 Mar 2014 10:30

Tea cosies are probably available everywhere else, but not in the sub-tropics lol

sis-in-law works in an OpShop in Victoria....... maybe she can look for me.

Thankyou for the offer Sharron, much appreciated.

I've been making smart*ss remarks, but I do envy you....... I'd love to do handwork, but my hands won't let me! Knit one, purl two, damn arthritis, drop three, knit one...... where did that hole come from? purl six....... :-(

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 27 Mar 2014 10:51

you cant beat a good old lavender bag :-D :-D

Sharron

Sharron Report 27 Mar 2014 11:00

Not everybody did handwork. Phyllis just held her stick and looked at me for two hours.

Damned young upstart interloper!

Leslie

Leslie Report 27 Mar 2014 11:28

Tea cosy's!!!! 1 small 2 large hanging in our kitchen above the drink making area along with the brass and copper....Can't remember when they were used last...1 was her mum's (died 1958) 1 was Aunt's (died 1962) the small one's a gift from someone... I can't rid rid of those ,,they are family history....COR!!!!!!!!!,,,,Regards....LES.

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 27 Mar 2014 11:52

keep an eye on that stick!!!

She has her eye on your lavender bag.

:-)