General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Out of touch with family

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Eileen

Eileen Report 3 Apr 2014 21:53

I left home at am early age and after my parents died lost touch with other family members. I'm a new member on this site and would appreciate any ideas, tips on how to best proceed to get back in touch with family members. Any suggestions that you can give would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Eileen

Elizabeth2469049

Elizabeth2469049 Report 3 Apr 2014 22:05

There is a board here called "Find Living Relatives" which might well help - but do read the introductory notes which do caution you about initially printing out too much personal details in the first place.

Kay????

Kay???? Report 3 Apr 2014 22:08

Woud you expect them to be in the same general area,?Eileen ,

,,,,,,,which country?

they may have registered with this site in the hope you may search for them,

use the Search tab in far right,,,,,scroll down for,Search all Trees,click and enter a persons details and see if any match your search.,including your parents names

Elizabeth2469049

Elizabeth2469049 Report 4 Apr 2014 10:25

seems to be duplicated - second version same timing with one answer from AnneCardiff

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 4 Apr 2014 20:16

duplicate thread .................. see ....................

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/general_chat/thread/1339110

Eileen

Eileen Report 17 Jun 2014 13:04

Thank you to all the kind people who left replies. Sorry for not being in touch sooner. I had a health problem related to my ears then went on holiday. Hence my absence from the site.
I'm wondering if anyone else has been in my position, having long periods of no contact with family members then getting in touch. I'd be very interested to hear from anyone in my position who has successfully got back in touch with family members. I'd love to have any information that you would be happy with share with me as it feels rather as though I am going into the unknown at the moment.
Thanks and good wishes
Eileen

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 17 Jun 2014 13:31

You can only try Eileen some family members will be happy to be in touch as well as some may not want to bring up old memories

Have you started with your own birth cert and then searched for your parents marriage. Their marriage cert wil give their ages and fathers names .if known , then you can work back on each side .

If you don't know much about their families then finding each of their birth certs to can look to see if they had any siblings .

It one step at a time and you will need to buy certificates.

If you want any help then post on the find living board with any info you have and the helpers on there ,me included ! will see what we can find

:-) :-)

jax

jax Report 17 Jun 2014 13:31

Have you found any family members Eileen? or still looking for them?

My mum has 5 siblings she hasn't seen for years....nor is she interested in seeing them.

I know where I can find 4 of them should need be,, either by trees on here (2 of them have them) facebook (one is on there and another ones daughter is on there)...or the electoral rolls (address's found for two)