General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1954, Food rationing finally ends

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Elizabethofseasons

Elizabethofseasons Report 4 Jul 2014 00:22

Dear All

Hello

On this day, 60 years ago, at long last restrictions of selling and purchasing of meat and bacon ceased, thus signalling the end of food rationing.

For the first time since the war began in 1939 London's Smithfield Market opened at midnight instead of 0600 and meat sellers were doing a roaring trade.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Members of the London Housewives' Association held a special ceremony in London's Trafalgar Square to mark Derationing Day.

The Minister of Fuel and Power, Geoffrey Lloyd, burned a large replica of a ration book at an open meeting in his constituency.

But the Minister of Food, Major Gwilym Lloyd-George, told a meeting at Bebington in Cheshire he would keep his as a souvenir.

He praised all those traders and organisations that co-operated
with the rationing system.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Food rationing began on 8 January 1940, four months after the outbreak of war.

Limits were imposed on the sale of bacon, butter and sugar.

Clothes coupons were introduced and a black market soon developed while queueing outside shops and bartering for extra food became a way of life.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Take gentle care
Best wishes
Elizabeth,
xx

Dermot

Dermot Report 4 Jul 2014 07:06

Unfortunately, we now have 'Food Banks' for other reasons. Progress of some sort, I guess!

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 5 Jul 2014 01:54

Made it a bit easier on us who had to find dead insects on the roadside..........

Battenburg

Battenburg Report 5 Jul 2014 09:25

I remember going to the shop to buy sweets with a little coupon

Annx

Annx Report 5 Jul 2014 15:50

I still have my ration book. :-)

At least there was less waste and waist then. :-)

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 5 Jul 2014 20:44

remember well when sweets went on ration :-( :-(

Elizabethofseasons

Elizabethofseasons Report 5 Jul 2014 23:05

Hello to Dermot, Bob, Quinsgran and the two lady Ann's

Thank you all for your replies.

Dermot, you make a very good point about foodbanks.

Insects, Bob! OH that's disgusting!

Quinsgran, Annx and Ann, I visited the National Army Museum in London and they had little replicas of ration books and even sweet vouchers for the children.

People did survive and often on so little.

I wonder how on earth people managed to get through the war and the hardships.

Take gentle care
Best wishes
Elizabeth,
xx

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 5 Jul 2014 23:47

we did alright - living in the country my Dad had a shotgun and we lived on rabbits, pheasant, pigeon and hare - this did involve making sure you managed to spit out the lead pellets!!! must have swallowed some over the years no doubt

Mum used to "fiddle" the ration books by bleaching out the stamp marks put on by the grocer and getting the ratons again - he was old with poor eyesight!!! everyone found ways to get round the restrictons