General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Mobility scooters on airplanes.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 14 Jul 2014 22:02

Which airlines, if any allow passengers to take their own mobility scooters on flights to USA?
I always seem to be asking advice on here, I hope no one minds and can help us.
Thank you.

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 14 Jul 2014 22:20

I think you may have to contact the airlines which fly out from your departure airport. I have looked at DDA for the UK but of course as you are flying to the USA their rules and regs are different.

Theoretically airlines MUST allow disability aids to be stowed in cargo, it's all down to the airline as to whether they charge or not.

American airlines change their terms and conditions with the wind, so once you find an airline (if it is a US carrier) get everything in writing please!

If you apply to be an assisted passenger you will probably be able to get your own personal assistant to help with all arrangements.

Good luck :-D

Sue

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 15 Jul 2014 04:57

could be difficult ....................

I would think most mobility scooters are too wide for the aisles on a plane .....................

I've mostly seen people waiting at the gate in airline or airport wheelchairs, which take them to the door of the plane, then they have to be helped to their seat.

My gut feeling is that you could use it to the gate, or maybe the door to the plane, but it would then have to be loaded into the cargo space.

This means that you would have to ensure that no part of it could be damaged.

You should google for information

PLUS contact the airline you are going to use.

Do please remember though that the voltage system is different in North America, and your battery charger may not be compatible ............... that is something else you need to check.

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 15 Jul 2014 08:18

You may find this useful...

https://www.gov.uk/transport-disabled/planes

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 15 Jul 2014 08:48

The type of battery often determines whether or not an airline will accept a scooter or not, if they do agree to accept the scooter, some airlines will let you use it to travel as far as the boarding gate, thereafter it will be put in the cargo hold - you need to check with your airline as others have suggested.

Mayfield

Mayfield Report 15 Jul 2014 16:57

Maybe you could bolt it onto a microlight :-D

jax

jax Report 15 Jul 2014 18:19

I would have thought it would be better to hirer one once there.....dont think I would want mine thrown about by the luggage handlers

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 18 Jul 2014 20:31

Thank you all very much, it's more straight forward than I thought, and we will be checking with airlines etc. thanks again :-)