General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Am getting just a little bit excited!! Update 19th

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 16 Jul 2014 19:14

Our grandaughter had no idea what to get us for Xmas as hubby is having health problems .
She knows her grandad loves his classical music as well as he still likes his reading . He loves the proms and watches lots of them on the TV and we NEVER miss the broadcast of the last night even when it was on steam radio

SOOO she bought us two tickets for the opening night on Friday AND for our joint birthdays in March she and her office colleagues spent ages trying to find and book us a hotel for Friday night so we dont have to worry about getting home .

As things turned out with our cat being ill it was going to be a problem being away way over night but sadly she was put to sleep last week so dont have to worry about her

SOOOO orf to the Proms this Friday .am so looking forward to it as I like classical as well as modern music too

Hubby is a bit concerned as his walking had deteriorated but we can do it with trains and taxis etc

Sirius

Sirius Report 16 Jul 2014 19:19

Hope you both have a really good time Shirley :-) ( and what a lovely thoughtful grandaughter you have ).

Kay????

Kay???? Report 16 Jul 2014 19:24

as the saying goes Shirley,,,,,just what you needed to buck you both up a bit,,,,,,,,hope you enjoy and there isnt problems with OH.There will be someone to help with seating I'm sure,

KittytheLearnerCook

KittytheLearnerCook Report 16 Jul 2014 19:25

Awwww what a wonderful gift for you both, bless her heart <3

I am sure you ill have a fantastic time. :-D

**Stella ~by~ Starlight**★..★..★

**Stella ~by~ Starlight**★..★..★ Report 16 Jul 2014 19:29

that is wonderful.. what a thoughtful gift... <3

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 16 Jul 2014 19:30

Thanks Sirius

Yes she is a lovely girl commutes up to London daily by coach from Kent . she works in banking . She has a very early start to pick up her coach but often doesn't get home to after 7pm .Once a week from the coach set down point she gets in her car and drives down to see us and stays for a couple of hours cos she wants to be with us as she is concerned about grandad

She came in last Tuesday and immediately asked where is Mirabelle?? We were both she tears when I told her sadly Mirabelle had been put to sleep that morning.

We really do appreciate her thoughtfulness and how she got her colleagues onboard too looking for hotels near the Albert Hall

:-)

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 16 Jul 2014 19:32

sorry folks our posts crossed

Yes its a wonderful gift from a truly lovely girl XXX

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 16 Jul 2014 22:06

How lovely, both of you relax and enjoy. :-)

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 16 Jul 2014 22:50

Have a really lovely time and report back to us next week :-D

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 17 Jul 2014 21:14

Have a wonderful time enjoying your lovely present.
A stay overnight will be the icing on the cake!

Gwyn

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 18 Jul 2014 07:03

Wow, what a lovely gift and it will mean even more to you knowing all the effort your granddaughter made to arrange things.

I do hope you have a fabulous time, do make sure you both drink lots of liquid with the hot weather and travelling and enjoy the stay overnight and having breakfast cooked for you

Lizxx

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 19 Jul 2014 12:22

Well it was an experience

The Albert Hall was smaller that we expected on the inside .even the circular standing area in the middle where the promenaders stand was a lot smaller than it looks on tele

It's very high domed though and there is seating way up to in the gods we had seats in the front row of the stalls so very well placed

The acoustics were very very good although a bit loud for my taste and wow the welsh national chorus is enormous . They were all very well rehearsed even in sitting down together when not singing and then standing up as one when they were going to sing

The music was Elgar ,s The Kingdom ,not exactly my taste but hubby enjoyed it .

He had balance problems big time and I did wonder if he was going to be able to get there , fortunately taxis and cabs helped and people seeing him struggle also stepped in as soon as they saw he needed help. Even a very nice man took him into the gents as we left after the concert as he could see I was holding him up almost . He even stood with him supporting him from falling as he did what he had too

Victoria station too was great they called up a passenger truck to take him from the platform to the taxi rank and again this morning to take him across the concourse and on to the platform for a train home

Very impressed how kind strangers were .

Don't think we will be traveling to London again though as hubby really struggled

All in all a very good evening and a nice hotel in a quiet square so we didn't have any noise problems even though we were on the ground floor

:-D :-D

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 19 Jul 2014 15:19

But well done to you and your OH Shirley. You made it and you made a memory too. I am sure that your OH will be thinking about the music and reliving it too. Well done to you both overcoming the many problems and how good that so many people helped you both. there are good people out there. :-)

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 19 Jul 2014 15:32

Ann

there are many kind folks out there

Some may have problems with other nationalities but our experience was it was the Asian folks who jumped in to help when they saw this elderly gent needing help . They hold their older family members in esteem and look after them .

I class folks as folks not by their nationality. People were so genuinely kind though.

Our grandaughter asked the hotel to give us room on the first floor or as near to to ground floor as poss cos grandad has mobility problems. They obviously took note even though was a nights stay and put us on the ground floor .

I explained at reception there was no way he could go downstairs for breakfast and although they dont do room service for breakfast they let me select what he would like for breakfast and one of the staff took it up to our room for him .Very impressed how easily the hotel staff rose to be so obliging

Mersey

Mersey Report 19 Jul 2014 15:38

Glad you had such a lovely time Shirley :-)

Jane

Jane Report 19 Jul 2014 15:46

Oh Shirley ,what a wonderful present for you both and what an experience :-DI am so glad you enjoyed it and the night away,even with the problems your OH has with his mobility.Yes there are so many kind people willing to lend a hand when needed .Especially the gentleman who helped your OH to the loo and stayed with him .It would have been a bit awkward for you to deal with that.
I expect you are both resting up today :-D

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 19 Jul 2014 16:21

Jane we are!!

Hubby was better this morning still having problems with walking but I was able to get us picked up from the station and taken home

sods law though it was dry and clearing over all the way home till the stop before ours and the rain started.
I did get a bit wet but the cab was waiting for us so we quickly got out the cab and unlocked the front door so are we are home

Am so glad hubby got to experience his love of music and enjoy it .I am just a hanger on to see he enjoys his life experiences . I DONT need to be in there I just want hubby to enjoy his tastes

SORRY had to edit cos B predictive texts totally distorted what I had typed

KittytheLearnerCook

KittytheLearnerCook Report 19 Jul 2014 16:22

What a lovely experience for you both Shirley......and there are some amazingly kind people around, so pleased that people helped you and your husband out :-D <3

Kay????

Kay???? Report 19 Jul 2014 16:50

Great,,,,,,,

Even though there was some struggilng it would have done your OH the world of good to be out amongest different people,hearingthe live music ,going on the trains and of course he never got time to be bored,,,and hope today maybe you both are tired its done you both the world of good so well done for going with the flow .....Yes the AH is deciving once inside,even the outside is not as big as you would imagine it to be........but a lovely place thats not lost any of its charm.

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 20 Jul 2014 07:18

I thought about you Shirley when I saw a part of the proms on tv and hoped you were having a good time.

How lovely that things went as well as they did and you got such a lot of help from others, it restores your faith in human nature, doesn't it?

Your granddaughter must be so happy that the special treat worked out well and I hope you can recover from the efforts you made and know your hubby enjoyed himself.

Lizxxx