General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

I hate cruelty to animals

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 18 Jul 2014 13:37

A man who tied his friend's dog to a tree before dousing it in petrol and burning it to death has been jailed for only 9 months for doing this.

The Animal Health and Welfare Act that he was prosecuted under means Graham could only be jailed for a maximum of a year for this offence, and his early guilty plea meant he will only serve nine months for this brutal killing, albeit he was sentenced at the same time to 3 years for another crime.

Warning - You may find the article distressing!!!

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/crime/man-who-tied-friends-dog-3878906

As stated, this was a horrific crime, 9 months for doing this is a pathetic sentence - I would have given him 9 years :-|

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 18 Jul 2014 13:46

My feeling is that an assault on a person's animal especially dog, cat, horse should be treated as no different to an assault on the owner of the animal with penalties accordingly. Owners of animals who mistreat them should also be liable to the same penalties as assaulting any other family member.

This sort of barbarism causes unending distress to the victim's owner.

Very often those who start with attacks on animals move on to human beings it is no trivial matter.

<3

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 18 Jul 2014 13:55

Agree Rollo. He hasn't even got the excuse that 'the way the dog spoke to him was out of order'.

Merlin

Merlin Report 18 Jul 2014 14:49

Having many years ago suffered burns from a petrol bomb,my punishment to him would be to soak him in petrol and set him alight.Just punishment. :-|

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 18 Jul 2014 15:24

I hope they put him in a prison wing which has quite a few dog lovers in it :-)

Kay????

Kay???? Report 18 Jul 2014 15:29

That has made my toes curl and an overwhelming sicking feeling.........oh, why dont they use these people in labs for experiments!!,,,,,,,,,,,I hope hes housed with a few animal lovers,,,,,,,but doubt his vile evil act will be known to the others.

He's depraived beyond words,,,,,,,,he def needs treatment and his fingers hammered flat.

Dermot

Dermot Report 19 Jul 2014 08:42

Animals everywhere have little or no rights & the sentences handed out to those who abuse them rarely deter further maltreatment.

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 19 Jul 2014 09:11

I noted that the Sheriff did say that the public will no doubt be astounded that the maximum sentence he could hand down for this crime was 1 year.

It is about time the law was changed :-|

Dermot

Dermot Report 20 Jul 2014 09:50

'A suspicious donkey laden with explosives has been revealed as a surprising form of weaponry in Gaza, the Israeli army has said.

The poor donkey was blown up during its oblivious suicide mission after troops said they were forced to open fire on the animal as it approached their position in the Rafah area'.