General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Do you think children grow up too fast?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 26 Jul 2014 16:55

I think they do, partly because they see so much adult stuff on TV.

This, though, is a step too far. :-| :-|

http://home.bt.com/lifestyle/family/opinion-kids-these-days-grow-up-too-fast-11363922230671

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 26 Jul 2014 17:09

Well it's really sad that this is happening but it's down to parents to put a stop to it. Sadly many have more money than sense, even in this day and age, and go along with the hype, and of course, peer pressure can make children miserable when their families can't afford to follow suit, or won't because of sensible principles.

We should let out kids be kids and not divas, my 'step'granddaughter is known as E.diva by her Mum who is starting to let her daughter get away with too much, laughing it off as saying Oh she is being a diva but stopping o.h.'s son from disciplining the child. She is not yet 4 but rules the roost already.

Where will it all end?

Lizx

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 26 Jul 2014 17:17

I don't think this is a new thing.

My 15 year old grandson went to a nursery from being 3 months old and when he left to go to school the nursery had a "graduation" ceremony - more than 10 years ago.

Granted the mortar boards and capes were made by the children themselves in craft lessons at nursery and there was no glitzy ceremony - just the children receiving certificates and a photographer to record a class photo. I still have a copy of the photo, which I treasure, but I would hate to think that the ceremonies were more than just the marking of a last day of a particular era for the children.

They definitely do grow up too fast.

Kath. x

BrendafromWales

BrendafromWales Report 26 Jul 2014 17:54

My 11yr old great granddaughter...birthday today...has just had her prom day from junior school with silver high heel shoes, and tiara,lovely dress...too old for her..and false nails.
I don't think it's good for them,but have to keep quiet as have been told before...get into the 21st century.
We always had dress up days ,but that was in play
Don't like them too old for their years,but they're all the same and feel the odd one out if they don't comply!

Lyndi

Lyndi Report 26 Jul 2014 18:05

They do seem to grow up too fast - I look after 3 year old granddaughter usually for 2 days a week, and if the days are consecutive she stays over. During the time she is with me if the television is on it will be cbeebies or an age relevant dvd.
I watch the news after she has gone to bed - even on an early news programme there is stuff that I feel she might find scary, and quite frankly she doesn't need to know yet.
No soaps or Jeremy Kyle either lol.

Budgie Rustler

Budgie Rustler Report 26 Jul 2014 18:31

Being told to " get with it " and "its the in thing" doesn`t wash with me ...Its nothing to do with a child's welfare it all about making money.
Yet another "Across the Pond" American exploitation racket Just like Halloween.
The good side is, it creates jobs.
I quite like the idea of a big celebration on leaving school though, because its an helluva leap from childhood, to being an adult and THAT is something to celebrate.

**Ann**

**Ann** Report 26 Jul 2014 19:16

http://www.channel5.com/shows/blinging-up-baby/episodes/blinging-up-baby

The above should raise a few eyebrows then :-0 :-0 :-0