General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Gedcom import process

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Murray

Murray Report 18 Nov 2014 12:59

Having been asked to help someone sort out his family tree, and having been presented with the documented research of a deceased relative, I started by installing Ancestry Quest and using the FamilySearch Internet site to check dates and places. I have got the chap registered with Genes reunited and have started the import process.

1. Does the gedcom file get copied up to Genes Reunited at once or is it copied only after the import is no longer pending?
2. Will GR accept a gedcom from Ancestral Quest formatted for Family Tree Maker?

TIA

Murray

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 18 Nov 2014 13:17

Why would you want to do that? Ancestry Quest is much better than the GRU tree and interfaces smoothly both with ancestry.com and familysearch.

GRU will only import GED text no notes, graphics etc. There can be issues with dates and place names. Any new import will overwrite all existing data in a GRU tree. Any graphics, notes etc added to the GRU tree will not be retained with any GED exported from GRU. Although data in upper case will be retained on import any new records will force proper case.

Any census and other records added within GRU will disappear (a) on export to GED (b) if subs run out.

enjoy

Murray

Murray Report 18 Nov 2014 13:27

the reason for importing the tree in GR is that there are multiple members with matches to this person's ancestors. We look forward to a host of hot matches 'in due course'

The import has completed and the questions have been answered. :-D

Murray :-)

Kense

Kense Report 18 Nov 2014 13:48

Do not expect a host of hot matches.

A few months ago I replaced my GR tree (700 or so ) with a GEDCOM (2,500 or so). Since then I have had about six hot matches.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 18 Nov 2014 14:16

KenSE is right most of the GenesRU member trees have gone off to join the Rosetta lander. The action is elsewhere.

Dark matter.

good luck you'll need a great deal of patience

Murray

Murray Report 18 Nov 2014 18:55

Before I suggested GR I had checked for two given names from the family on other trees and found multiple hits by date and place of birth - hence my hope that there will be some hot matches

Murray :-)

Kense

Kense Report 18 Nov 2014 19:27

If you have found them manually then you can contact the tree owners. Hot matches won't give you any more information.

Most people on here do that rather than relying on the hot match software.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 18 Nov 2014 19:35

You will get the hits but when you send a message to the tree owner you will be very lucky to get a reply. If you go to the usual places and look for gru site stats it is hardly surprising.

This is one way to get around the problem.

a. don't set any store on hot matches from GRU

b. say you are looking for Zebedee Kramer and you know he was born in Islington about 1870. Do a search on member trees.
Say you get 7 matches trees run by Jazzer, John7 and so on.
click on further details, you will get this
jazzer(Member No. 972052)
now what other matches may go with this jazzer ?
do another search but this time just Parker in Islington.
This will probably bring up more Parkers attached to Jazzer's tree inc some you may not have known about.
and so on without any need to wait n wait for a message etc.
The technique works with tree records regardless of restrictions eg living relatives. Always cross check from other sources whatecer you dig up.

Oddly enough you do not need to be a paying member to do any of this!

good luck