General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

GEDCOM problems

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

GeeJayDubya

GeeJayDubya Report 29 Dec 2014 00:42

Hi all

I have been trying to export a GEDCOM of my tree since 16 December without success. I have reported problem to Support who have referred it to the 'Tree expert' for investigation.

Am wondering whether this is a problem anyone else has experienced - and how long it may take to resolve the problem.

Andrew

Andrew Report 29 Dec 2014 00:51

I haven't used my tree on GR recently, but in the past it has taken up to 2 weeks to export a GEDCOM.

Andy

Alisdair

Alisdair Report 29 Dec 2014 07:55

Yes, there are a few of us who have posted here, on Facebook or elsewhere

I understand that it has been Christmas, but two weeks ( again ) is not very professional

I keep my mater tree on Gr and hoped to export it to a stand alone device to show it to relatives without internet access

Sorry GR , but it's a massive fail, and you are in danger of losing a member

GeeJayDubya

GeeJayDubya Report 29 Dec 2014 09:26

Thanks Andrew & Alisdair.

Last time I exported a GEDCOM was a long time ago and it came through within half-an-hour, so the present failure is puzzling.

My subscription is due in a few days but I have switched off auto-renew. I am beginning to wonder if these two things are connected. Could this be a strong-arm tactic by GR - Renew or lose your tree?

Kense

Kense Report 29 Dec 2014 09:35

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/genealogy_chat/thread/1347776
http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/general_chat/thread/1347841

Inky1

Inky1 Report 29 Dec 2014 09:51

Just done an export - did not really want one right now.
Will see how long it takes....................

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 29 Dec 2014 11:34

It happens fairly regularly.....!

Nothing sinister. Usually caused by the Gedcom Processor being suspended whilst site software upgrades are applied and somewone then forgets to re-enable the process.

Inky1

Inky1 Report 29 Dec 2014 14:19

GR Support email with gedcom attached was sent at 12:51 So 3hrs for me.

GeeJayDubya

GeeJayDubya Report 29 Dec 2014 14:33

Inky1

Interesting...so it does work even if it is slow. Wonder why mine doesn't work?

InspectorGP

So the GEDCOM Processor appears to be working...so why not for me?

GeeJayDubya

GeeJayDubya Report 29 Dec 2014 15:28

To keep you up to date, following response just received from Support:

I am sorry that it has taken us so long to resolve this issue.

The good news is that we have now fixed the fault that affected the import or export of some gedcom files.
If you had been trying to delete an existing Genes Reunited tree as part of that process, you may need to delete it again.

Over the next day or two, we are working through a backlog of gedcom files to be uploaded. Yours may have worked by the time you read this email or it might take another couple of days.

If things still don't look right by the end of this week, please drop us an email back and let us know what the problem is.
We promise to look at your indiviudal tree as quickly as possible if there should be any remaining issues.

Thank you for your patience.

With kind regards,

Nicky

GeeJayDubya

GeeJayDubya Report 29 Dec 2014 17:06

LATEST UPDATE

GEDCOM received!!! ;-) But was that painful!!